Fingerprint Support (All Platforms) - To do not re-prompt the master password all the time

Please add this to the android firefox mobile extension !

desktop extension for me is not as important but on my phone it is a bit of a pain entering the LONG master password every time firefox restarts

There’s somewhere Kyle mentioned that the security key can’t be held when the browser restarts. I just can’t remember where exactly, but he said it works better that way. :confused:

That would be so nice and easy :relieved:

1 Like

Are you planning to support windows fingerprint in near future?

1 Like

I was about to buy one of those some time ago. I just didn’t buy because of the additional customs fee. Taking that off, it would perfect for this scenario.

I ordered 2 of them ( a pack of 2 ) for a discounted price of £53
Amazon messed up and only sent 1.
I called up and the guy said the only option he has is for me to return it for a refund.
This didn’t make sense, I just wanted him to send me another 1.
In the end the guy refunded me the full £53 and said I can keep the one they sent :sweat_smile:
So I ordered another 1 and have only basically only paid £13.50 each.

Oh and it works REALLY well with “windows hello”. Scans in 0.15 seconds. much faster than my phone !
Now I just need @kspearrin to add fingerprint scanning to his firefox extension.

@kspearrin how much $$$ you want ?

1 Like

Hmm, not a bad deal then. I just didn’t buy with the extra taxes because our currency is much weaker than the usual. It’s like you buy a bill here for 23 cents (in US dollar). It’s lame, really.

However, about the bounty on the feature request, I don’t think it will turn out that easy. Some time ago I saw Kyle mentioning somewhere that was about to create an official profile on https://www.bountysource.com/

It’s not so old, but so far I haven’t heard the news on this yet.

PS: I’m glad you had a good results with your new toy. I’ll consider buying one of those (maybe imported from China), so I can have the hands on this and see if it’s really worth it or waste. After my marriage, who knows, hehehe. (Yes, I’m about to marry a woman right in my bday’s date, lol.)

Roboform for Windows Desktop supports fingerprint reader access for free. In fact, it is one of my favorite features of any password manager as it provides fast and convenient access to my passwords. That said, I really like Bitwarden and I think that is one killer feature that is still missing. Please add support for Windows fingerprint reading. Thanks!

1 Like

I bought this Kensington fingerprint key

https://www.kensington.com/p/products/security/biometric/Kensington-VeriMark-Fingerprint-Key-Supporting-Windows-Hello--FIDO-U2F-for-Universal-2nd-Factor-/

Setup with bitwarden U2F with no issue

I’d be glad for this feature in the linux (Fedora) client.

/What’s the status on this?

1 Like

As discussed here I think any sort of 2FA unlocking on a PC is a bad idea and should not be implemented.

How is it worse than unlocking Windows login with 2FA?

https://www.yubico.com/why-yubico/for-business/computer-login/windows-login/

I am not advocating one way or the other, Just trying to learn. Thanks.

Hi,
Excellent question, the answer is: it’s not different. If you want Windows to encrypt your hard drive (with bitlocker) then it won’t let you unlock with your fingerprint, for that very same reason.

François

If you want to see further details on Windows Unlock (in another way), please check this:

1. [SOLVED] 2 questions about vault session unlock
  2. Log into Windows desktop app using mobile app

I just voted on this one. I also want to note that LastPass, 1Password and Dashlane all have this feature now for Windows. This is the only feature holding me back from Bitwarden at this time.

1 Like

Same here. I do not want to enter my master password 20 times a day.

I know the main topic of this thread is to unlock the vault with the fingerprint, but it would also be nice if we had a PIN unlock in other platforms at this time. (In addition to this, of course.)

As Kyle has already created the proper thread, it’s not necessary to create a new one, but let’s put it together to make sure things are clear enough for everyone.

1 Like

I came here specifically searching for this. I must echo other posters in saying this is the one and only remaining thing keeping me from switching from Lastpass to BitWarden.

Indeed. I cannot contemplate moving to Bitwarden from 1Password until there is fingerprint support at minimum in the Chrome extension in macOS. I don’t want to leave my vault unlocked for huge portions of the day, but I also do not want to be entering my 30+ character master password multiple times a day either.

Crucially, I would be a paying customer, and I would rather be paying that money to Bitwarden than I would anyone else based on all of the other functionality I’ve seen. But I also cannot compromise either security or productivity so it is something that needs to be resolved.

5 Likes