Feature flag to disable cli search wildcard wrapper

Feature name

Feature flag to disable cli search wildcard wrapper

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    Allows for user to deliberately disable cli search wildcard wrapper in order to only pull back an exact vault item name.
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
    Allows for users to get back exactly what is expected, rather than a bunch of related vault item names and having to use the unique ids. My personal use case is for a set of scripts that run for various users and their own personal vaults that would have vault items with their own unique ids. Allowing to pull back a unique vault item name will make the scripts run for many users without any hacky antics to get what is desired.

Related topics + references

Semi-related to this discussion, although that may not be cli specific and Iā€™m asking for a toggle switch, essentially:

I originally made a Github issue before I realized that this was the official avenue for a feature request on this project:

Transcript from that:
I have some scripts that rely on specific, often similarly named vault items (often the name is in a portion of other vault item names). The ability to disable the wildcard wrapper would make pulling back a specific vault item by unique name much easier. I know that there are vault item ids that are unique. But, those are unique to a user and as this particular script is consumed by many users, it would be easier if the names could just be searched explicitly as given. I ended up coming up with a workaround for it. But, it isnā€™t ideal and Iā€™d much rather just be able to pass a flag to be able to search for a specific name.

I essentially would like to run something like:
bw get password --no-wildcard-wrapper uniquename

and be met with the unique entry instead of the following:
More than one result was found. Try getting a specific object by id instead. The following objects were found: ā€¦

Thank you for this request!

When I read it I was reminded of some other work going on. The idea behind it isnā€™t to get rid of the soft searching and return of lists, but to ALSO check for exact name matches. If a match is exact (and only one matches) weā€™d return just that result.

Does that satisfy your request as well as a flag to disable fuzzy searching? From code as well as use perspectives I think I prefer the exact match solution to an option.

@mgibson - If Iā€™m understanding that correctly, I believe that should solve my issue, yes.

looks like a nice improvement
As of today, I cannot automate ā€œbw get fooā€ if foobar secret exists

It does depend on what youā€™re trying to do. But, if it helps in the meantime, I will share what I was able to cobble together as a workaround from various sources:
bw list items --search "foo" | jq -r ".[]" | grep -w -e "name" -e "password" | grep -A1 -w \"foo\" | cut -d "\"" -f 4 | tail -n1 | tr -d "\n"

This is just to grab and return the password value of vault item foo.

1 Like

Did this ever get implemented? I happened to test today and didnā€™t see any change to behavior yet and Iā€™m currently on 1.19.1 of the cli.

Not yet, we do have an open invitation if anyone is willing to implement. Unfortunately, there is always too much to do. I think this would be a good first feature if anyone wants to get their hands dirty.

Even if ā€œbw getā€ match retained the wildcard wrapper it would be easier to work around the issue if name was added to the list of allowed objects.

Some pseudo code:
bw get item ā€œitem-nameā€ 2>error.txt
if [ $? > 0 ]; then
grep ā€˜match idā€™ error.txt | while read -r id ; do
NAME=$(bw get name $id)
if [ $NAME = ā€œitem-nameā€ ]; then
echo :match:
# perform further gets using id
fi

Sorry I canā€™t indent to make it more readable.

This will not work as name is not an allowed object for get, so like @McLain114 I have to use jd.

Sorry, I meant jq not jd.