✅ Extend JSON export to include PW history and item dates

Feature name

• Complete vault data in export

Feature function

• The current vault export is missing fields such as the “last modified”, password history, and last password modification time.
  • My request is quite simply that if it’s in my vault, it should be in the JSON export. I recognize that attachments are a separate and larger problem, but there is no good reason these fields have been omitted from the export.
  • There should be no issue with backwards compatibility, since any apps processing the new JSON can just ignore the new fields.
  • There was a thread on Reddit this morning from a user who wanted to examine his vault to find all passwords that hadn’t been changed since a given date. /u/Eclipsan points out that if there has been a vault compromise, a user might want to find all of these entries in the vault and change them. I replied that although the Bitwarden app might not help, that data is clearly in the vault, so OP could export the data and run a simple Python script to find these entries. Imagine my embarrassment to discover that the JSON export is incomplete :frowning:
2 Likes

Yeah, +1 for this. This should definitely be implemented.

+1 on this. Exports should see as much parity with the original vault data as is feasibly possible.

Furthermore, a PR policy should probably be added:

If someone is adding a feature that adds a field to the vault data, in order for the PR to be approved, it should be accompanied by an addition of that field to all exports if there is no substantial reason it cannot or should not be added.

I agree. Especially previous passwords can really save the day, in case of a mistake. We should be able to back them up, too.

For what it’s worth, this would be a good first issue for someone looking to contribute and a PR I’d be happy to review/help out with.

3 Likes

Hey everyone,

the missing information has been added with [PM-3040] [BEEEP] Extend json-export to include passwordhistory and vault item dates (created, updated, deleted) by djsmith85 · Pull Request #5917 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub and will likely be available as from ~2023.9 release.

Once it’s merged, I’ll close this, freeing up the votes. Exporting attachments is currently going to stay a separate matter.

2 Likes

This is great! Some questions:

• Can these additional data (dates and password histories) also be imported back into a Bitwarden vault?
  • Are there any plans to also export (and import) other missing information, including the Trash folder and text Sends?
1 Like

Thanks @grb for the feedback and questions.
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

• PasswordHistory: is exported on the json-exports and is able to be imported back into Bitwarden using the Bitwarden json importer.
  • Item meta dates: Are currently only exported. Might see some changes coming once we implement overwriting existing items on import.
  • Trash: I spoke with product about exporting and potentially importing the Trash. Currently no plans to include it.
  • Sends (text): is something I’ve started looking at during my BEEEP time, this might also gain some more traction/importance with Vault Item Sharing. A lot of changes coming to Sends

I’ll be closing this once 2023.9 is available to free up votes. Best to create separate requests for each of the things you are missing. Hope to work on implementing some of them soon.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Thanks for the update, and for the interesting peek at things-to-come! :eyes:

Thank you for implementing this. I wonder what the “deletedDate” field is for. It seems to always be empty and deleted items are not on the export.

@nothanco: Trash/deleted items →

Title changed from JSON export is incomplete → Extend JSON export to include PW history and item dates
Closing this now, as 2023.9 is available and to free up votes.