✅ Emergency access

I agree this feature would be awesome to have in Bitwarden.

I vote against this at least for now. It would take resources away from other more important things.

In the mean time, create a free Dashlane account (or Premium LastPass account), enable emergency access to it, and have a single entry in it that contains access information for your Bitwarden account and any other instructions.

1 Like

I would love to see this feature added.

i do not in any way share your opinion on it beeing of lower priority.
in fact, for me its important enought that i consider leaving bitwarden if this wont be implemented.

and that “workaround” is just dumb. if im going to create an account on lastpass for the emergency access, i can just use lastpass for everything. and skip bitwarden completely.

so lets just agree to disagree.

2 Likes

You hint toward a comparison with your question. What would be more important in your opinion? I’m genuinely curious, as I am not currently using Bitwarden.

Also, considering that this is the feature request with the second most votes, I would expect the Bitwarden team to work on this asap - at least if they care about user feedback.

1 Like

More important things mostly include adding security and reliability.

Security: E.g.: Nested vaults to implement multiple security levels

Reliability: Full backups.

+1 for emergency access feature. Lack of this feature is the only reason we haven’t moved to Bitwarden.

The Nested vaults idea mentioned above as being more important only has 5 votes while this is the 3rd most voted on idea! :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 I’d like to switch but I don’t think I could unless there was a feature like this. I already have a contingency plan set up with a couple people using LastPass.

1 Like

I use a 2FA hardware key for a second factor, so in the case where I am dead and my emergency access holder can’t access my key, your workaround doesn’t actually work. LastPass emergency access bypasses the second factor. That wouldn’t be the case once they get to Bitwarden.

You could add TOTP as a fallback, and include the TOTP secret in the data that the emergency contact gets. If you don’t actually use TOTP in your daily life, the TOTP secret remains safely locked up and does not in any way compromise your hardware 2FA.

Having TOTP as a fallback is advisable anyway. 2FA hardware can fail or be accidentally stepped on or get lost of stolen. Even duplicate 2FA devices could both be subject to failure. TOTP secrets can be easily backed up on paper; hardware 2FA secrets by design cannot.

Yeah all that is fair. I do use Google Authenticator as a backup already in LastPass, although I haven’t backed up the secret anywhere. I have duplicate keys but considering the potential downside to a dual failure, it may be worth backing up a TOTP secret. Your solution does depend on having a fairly technical user as your emergency backup. I’d still be a big advocate of adding this feature.

I am currently a LastPass user and have been for over 9 years. I was very sad to see them acquired by LogMeIn and now I’m starting to see evidence of that degrading the LastPass experience. Now I am looking for an alternative and bitwarden is a top contender. However, emergency access is a very high priority feature for me because in this day and age it is very important for loved ones to be able to access your digital life without months (or years) of struggle and legal expense. Lack of this feature (or something like it) may disqualify bitwarden for me which is too bad because it really does seem pretty great.

4 Likes

I think that this feature would be an awesome addition to BitWarden!

1 Like

I honestly don’t trust emergency access features for password managers. At one point the encryption key needs to be shared to someone else. Sure, there can be a delay before the other person can get access, but the simple fact is that somewhere in their vault is the encryption key and that is all you need to decrypt the other persons vault.

I could see this being exploited in the future - just hack the person with the weakest security to get to the other person.

Nothing beats a simple piece of paper with directions on what to do locked in a safe or safety deposit box.

4 Likes

A safe and secure way to cede access of your account to another in the event of a death or incapacitating emergency is a must these days.
I have a workaround using Yubikeys, Bitwarden and other means that would allow a trusted friend access to certain critical accounts in such an event. The Yubikeys are held by another trusted friend.
But a built-in mechanism would be much better.

2 Likes

Recent convert from Lastpass. I see emergency access in some form as a feature I need. If something were to happen to me it would create a huge cluster for my heirs with no access to many, many important accounts. I do respect the security concerns. So if an elegant solution was implemented, I’m all for that.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for that feature to move from LastPass to BitWarden.

1 Like

Agreed. Please implement an emergency access feature! As a solo developer with health problems, I need the security of knowing that my trusted colleague (another solo) will be able to take care of my clients if I kick the bucket or become incapacitated.

At moment I’m using both LastPass and Bitwarden. I love Bitwarden and have for premium account. Bitwarden’s cheap and worth it even if I go back to LastPass. This is just about the only thing keeping me from committing 100% to Bitwarden.

3 Likes

This is the one remaining feature I need to switch from LastPass. LastPass has been getting worse over time and I would move in a heartbeat if this was available.

Any updates on this request? Would really like this feature!