Custom field "text" default hidden text with toggle button to view and copy

Feature name

• custom field “text” is hidden by default and has a “view” toggle button along with the existing copy button. And an option to make the text not hidden by default (if you wanted it to be visible). This is all for the “value” field not the “name” field box. This is for the browser extension but I guess also for the desktop app.

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently? Lots of time text custom fields are for security questions, personal things, etc. that you don’t want to be visible in plain sight, especially if someone is next to you; when you have to manually copy it. Lots of time these don’t auto fill and you need to manually go in and copy it. If you create a “hidden” custom field it is not copy-able which is understandable.
  • What benefits will this feature bring? Increased privacy, security and convenience
  • Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Hello @Bitwardy444 and welcome to the community,

I utilize custom fields for multiple items, including as you mentioned certain “security questions” that are needed for sites, and other things related for a specific login entry I may have such as a related account’s API keys, etc.

Are you aware of the Hidden custom field type?
I believe this will suit your needs, as this allows for the same custom field entry as you are used to with Text based custom fields, but allows these fields to be hidden by default, with the ability to unhide and view the contents, as well as the ability to copy all custom fields to clipboard as standard.

For some reason when I tested it earlier I thought it didn’t allow me to view and didnt have copy function. I will give it a test again and let you know how it goes.

Could you perhaps be trying to add hidden fields to an Organization item?

If so then that item or collection may be assigned the Hide Passwords access control which would prevent Hidden custom fields to not allow for easy View or Copy capabilities for users’ assigned with that access control.