SaaS / Hosted Directory Connector + WebGUI

Feature name

• Containerise Bitwarden Directory Connector
  • WebGUI for Bitwarden Directory Connector

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    Bitwarden Directory Connector will be available as a Docker Image

It’ll make the Directory Connector available as a Web based application, similar to how the Server side is exposed.

• What benefits will this feature bring?
    Multiple admins could manage
    Dockerised environment

• Food for thought
    To be honest, for a start, if this could just be containerised, I don’t mind using the CLI until the Web GUI is ready. Alternatively, I could make use of this temporarily.

Ideally, this should be part of the Admin I think, and should also be available in the SaaS environment.

• Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?
  • Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful?
1 Like

Hi,

Is there any update on this?

In our organization this would also be super useful! We would like to have the Bitwarden Directory Connector Web GUI integrated in the Bitwarden System Administrator Portal, so it is easier for setup and tracking by admins.

Also in our evaluation pipleline @MilicaMij :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the update :slight_smile:

Feature name

Clientless Azure Active Directory Directory Synchronization

Feature function

What will this feature do differently?

• Provide Azure AD Directory Synchronization without the Bitwarden Directory Connector.

What benefits will this feature bring?

• Removes the reliance of a physical PC or VM to run the Bitwarden Directory Connector and allows it to be 100% cloud based if desired.
  • Removes the complexity behind the Bitwarden Directory Connector running on a PC or VM with having to stay logged in, run a cron job or scheduled task.

Related topics + references

Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?

Why did I post the feature request?

Frustration with the Bitwarden Directory Connector. It often seems like an after thought solution and is often troublesome. Being unable to run the connector without being logged on, requires a complicated schedule task and a service account in a Windows environment. If you could run the connector as a service, it may be less problematic. However, the reliance on a physical environment when using both a cloud based IdP and credential vault seems like an unnecessary complication. We use roughly a dozen different products that connect directly to Azure AD for their directory synchronization without the need for a proxy solution similar to those above.

Thanks, any date availible in the roadmap for this feture?
/Anders

Welcome, @andgla!

No ETA just yet, but it is a high priority.

2 Likes

There’s this as well: SCIM as an alternative to Directory Connector for user management - Feature Requests - Bitwarden Community Forums

It should be more efficient as it’s push based directly from the IdP, as opposed to being pull-based from the SP, more info: Azure Active Directory Sync Efficiency considerations · Issue #83 · bitwarden/directory-connector (github.com)

Generally, open standards are preferred and encouraged, like SCIM, as opposed to using vendor specific APIs.

2 Likes

Hi,

Is there any update on this when this will be implemented?

Thank you in advance.

The roadmap also has updated timelines for this feature :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for fast and prompt reply! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi,

Is there any update on this when this will be implemented?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

If bitwarden supports SCIM, Azure AD could push the updates, got something here on that:

Hi,

Thanks for an update. But we do not use Azure. Is there any plans regarding integration with Google?

Regards,
Milica

Currently I do not believe that Google Workspace (formally G-Suite) has support for SCIM, though depending on your plan you may have access to Google Workspace LDAP cloud directory.
If you have a supported plan, you should be able to add this to allow for user provisioning.

Otherwise you can follow the guide below from Bitwarden to sync with your Google Workspace.

You can also use Google Workspace as an SSO provider for a single-sign on experience. Here are some additional resources for that.

https://support.google.com/a/topic/7559288?hl=en&ref_topic=7556794

https://support.google.com/a/topic/7556794

Edit:

I stand corrected, it appears they do support SCIM. Arquitecturas de referencia  |  Administración de identidades y accesos  |  Google Cloud

Hi! I am following up - I am unsure where in the roadmap this is but our organization would greatly benefit from a containerized implementation of the Bitwarden Directory Connector. I like the idea of it being accessible from the /admin container. Let me know if this is still on the roadmap and if so, what the plan might look like. Thank you!