Consistency check for externally entered passwords

Thank you for your post!

Feature name

• Feature to ensure that password was entered correctly when being addded manually from another source

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    When this feature is toggled, you will have to enter a password (that you are already entering manually during login information creation) twice to ensure you entered the password correctly. If passwords are accidentally entered incorrectly, they can be β€œlost” forever because it may be impossible to know what character is incorrect.
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
    Increased accuracy of login information (for those who toggle it on)
  • Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?
  • Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful?

I truly believe that adding any password manually is the wrong approach. The risk of a typo just is too high. For me copy-paste already seems to be a better option. And instead creating passwords within Bitwarden definitely removes almost all risks of failure due to the lack of human interaction. The only remaining risk of that method is not hitting Save when done. And even then you are still covered by the Password History of the password generator.

1 Like

I agree, I always try to generate within the app or copy/paste, but there are many cases where this is not possible. (For example, entering passwords from my work computer into my personal Bitwarden) An optional field with a manual password entry consistency check would reduce the risk of incorrect password entry to near zero (which you yourself say is significant). Thank you for the reply!