✅ Account Switching

I saw mention earlier in the discussion that this was on the roadmap, but I don’t see it listed. Did it drop off the roadmap for the next several months?

If so, please consider just publishing a second variant of the app. It’s not an ideal solution, but it’s one that should be relatively trivial to implement (others have suggested the ‘Beta’ variation). For desktop browsers, it was trivially easy to build an alternate plugin with a different name/menu item to do a second login. Obviously profile switching would be best, but second instance of plugin/extension would certainly be a workaround for now.

1 Like

It’s on there as “client profiles” :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I need this feature too, can’t wait for the release.

2 Likes

Hello

This feature could be nice. An another use case, when we work with multiple partners/customers. In some case we need to manage multiple bitwarden accounts provided by them.
Manage with desktop/browser/… profile is in some case overload.

Thanks

1 Like

I use Bitwarden on my Android phone. I’m logged in under my personal account, and use my fingerprint to unlock the vault. It’s great and I love it.

My and my co-worker are thinking of moving from Keepass+Onedrive to Bitwarden at work. I want to push for Bitwarden. However, it seems that if I do this, it would complicate my own personal usage. In order to access work passwords, I would need to:

1. Log out from personal account
  2. Type work email address and password
  3. Log back in, and likely face the 2FA music again
    …and vice versa and repeat.

This is, in simple terms, just unacceptable. So I’m discouraged from using Bitwarden at work. I can’t imagine I’m the only person with this problem.

There’s two solutions I see :

1. Bitwarden’s client app should be updated with multiple account support, and easy switching between accounts (just enter fingerprint/password). I imagine this is not happening anytime soon since the feature request from 2018 hasn’t been answered.

2. (Easiest) Bitwarden can provide a separate installer with a different app signature, call it Bitwarden Beta, like how Firefox for Android has both standard and beta apps. I would then have two separate Bitwarden apps on my phone, each with their own data and account. I imagine 99% of people just work for a single company and this is good enough for them, so if you can help the 99% today, please just do it ASAP and don’t let the 1% ruin nice things for the rest of us.
    Help me help you, Bitwarden dev.

I think there is a 3rd approach, which sucks: dedicate the Android app for my personal use, and use the web browser for my work vault. I’d lose the fingerprint convenience of the app, I’d need to enter my password every time (staying logged in is a security concern).

Prior title (Mod Edit):

Bitwarden discourages recommending it at work, by not supporting multiple accounts. Please release a separate client installer at least

1 Like

I‘m in the exact same position as op. Please let this happen!

I’m in the same position.

Also, I’d like to add that if my company started using Bitwarden as well, I could no longer be logged in to the browser extension on my work PC with my private account! The obvious workarounds of either logging into my private Bitwarden account only using the Desktop Application or using a separate browser whenever I need to use a private account (e.g. Stack Overflow) would kill one of Bitwarden’s greatest strengths: ease of use.

Same here.

However, I’d discourage the “separate installer” idea. Account switching already done well in many apps, not only on Android.

Also, I think it would be rather hard to duplicate Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Windows and everything else, just for the sake of two accounts, where some people might even “need” more than that.

1 Like

@Sven_Haberer, there’s already a feature request from 2018 asking for account switching, and it still hasn’t happened. So while we all want that, I think we should face reality, that it’s gonna take a long time.

“Separate installer” is something they can do in a day right now because it doesn’t require any new code, just modifying a build script. Don’t even advertise it to people, just let the Beta release be available for those of us willing to use 2 apps for 2 accounts.

You could install BitWarden under a Work Profile. Then you can have two Bitwarden installs with different accounts logged in.

Oh, you’re just talking about (Android) apps?

I was talking about the desktop client and browser integration as well. I would imagine that it’s not that easy to duplicate all clients. I don’t own an iOS device, but I think you need to put an app into the app store, otherwise you’re not able to install it (unless you’re jailbroken?).

Hi,

installing a separate app per account won’t scale and will be difficult on iOS.
Eg. consultants might to switch between multiple customer’s Bitwarden accounts/hosts or there is a work and a private account an the need to connect to a partner’s vault.

Best in terms of usability, scalability and implementation IMHO is the possibility to switch between multiple Bitwarden accounts and hosts in all apps.

Without the possibility to easily switch Bitwarden host and account, it is a nightmare to use this great tool, if you work with multiple organizations.

Best regards,
Steffen

3 Likes

Isn’t this kind of thing supposed to be handled by setting up an organization and then sharing relevant data through there? This way it is not necessary to create company specific accounts for anyone. Set it up at: Vault > Settings > Organizations > New Organization (free to try with a couple of users). This creates a separate vault for an organization where you can add logins and other stuff, invite users with different permissions. You can also create collections to share different sets of data between different sets/departments of users (like accounting, it, administration etc.). All admins/owners can edit the organization and the data in its vault and all changes will be synced for all users. Also if you delete a user from your organization it also deletes all shared data from their accounts without affecting the contents of their personal vault (including other users with admin/owner level permissions). It is also possible to set up multiple organizations with their own vaults, users etc. Sharing and managing collections is also possible throught the apps and extensions after the organization has been set up. Only one account is needed for all organizations you manage and at the same time you can also use the same account as a user in organizations not managed by you. In my opinion this is much better aproach than creating a separate account for everyone although maybe a bit more complicated to setup. Otherwise you would have to manually manage all the accounts one by one and that is just exhausting if there are a lot of users.

1 Like

Well the issue is that an organization will create accounts for the users, in the organization’s own mail system.
Personal users will use their own email.
The other options here that may work for some is to support multiple SMTPs being associated with one account but that may raise other issues.
It would be far simpler to allow multiple accounts to be logged into from one app and treat them like seperate ‘organizations’ i.e. allow new credential pairs to be saved to either account using the drop-down menus.

2 Likes

I would also like to “separate” private passwords from more work related ones.

@Essadon This is a confirmed item in the roadmap and will be launched pretty soon. Please stay tuned!

6 Likes

I really hope this means we can also set different security profiles for multiple accounts. I.e. one account that always requires the master password be reentered and one that has a longer timeout and can be unlocked with say biometrics. And maybe a third that even requires a hardware token.

2 Likes

I’m not feeling hopeful.

Same boat. Just converted from KeePass, and we could def use this in our work environment / enterprise, but switching back and forth is a bit much.

I can confirm this is a very high priority item, and is on our immediate to-do list. It is a large effort so it will take time to implement.

2 Likes