I exported a file using:
bw export --format json
and entered my pw, etc… that part works fine. I then edited the resulting json file and changed all the androidapp: URLs to match of 3 (this is to fix a different problem I’m having with the Android app where there are lots of spurious entries. Let me know if there is a better way to fix this).
Then when I try to import:
bw import bitwardenjson ~/bitwarden_export_20210423214459.json
It pretends to succeed but nothing changed.
A few days later, I found 3 copies of every entry. Apparently all those attempts succeeded, but AFTER they said they did.
Note that the bw sync command didn’t help. I think only time fixes this.
So the correct export/import process is this:
- Export your vault
- Export the Organization vault to a different file if you have shared items
- (optional) Make your modifications to the exported json or csv file
- (optional) If you used csv, and if you want to merge duplicates, use the duplicate checker/merger on it.
- Purge your vault (and Organization vault) so you don’t make more duplicates. Better yet, select all/delete so you can restore if needed.
- Import your file(s) to your vault(s).