Clear Search Term with X

Can we get an X, or the equivalent, to quickly clear a search term? Closed issue #240 on github says there is already an X available to clear an entered search term. I don’t see such a thing on any of the platforms. Am I missing something?

Esc works certain places, like the Chromium web extension and the Linux desktop app, but not at all on the Firefox web extension, sidebar, or web vault.

1 Like

I’m out of votes, so I’m commenting with my +1.

1 Like

There’s a small ‘x’ on the Windows desktop client, however it’s small, hard to click, and should be red. Nothing in the Firefox extension.

There is an ‘x’ also under firefox but much more visible with the dark theme

I’m not sure where you’re seeing the X in Firefox. I sure don’t have one in Firefox either on Windows or Linux. I did finally see it in Chrome/Chromium. It’s almost invisible with the Default theme. You’re right, it does show up better with the Dark theme. No dice with Firefox, though.

My apologies, I have three sessions open all the time (chrome, ff and’‘ff developer edition’’ and… I answered too quickly

+1 Out of votes, but could have used this feature a few times recently.

Feature name

• ‘X’ button to clear search field in Web vault

Feature function

• Small productivity enhancement

Hi, Bitwarden is fantastic, coming from Keeper and Dashlane this is so much better. But enough sugar coating, here’s my suggestion for small improvement:

The Web vault seems to be missing the ‘X’ button to clear search field and reset the results (on Firefox at least):

Currently I need to double click the field to select all content and then press backspace or delete key. It would be more convenient with a one-click button in, or next to, the search field that clears the field and resets results - just an ordinary clear function.

Thanks in advance and kind regards! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, this problem is unique to Firefox and is also present in the browser extension. But at least in the browser extension, a workaround is to click the Tab icon at the bottom of the sidebar pane for a one-click clearing of the search term. I filed a Feature Request about this a couple of years ago, but nothing has come of it yet.

1 Like

I see. Maybe it’s some Firefox quirk that’s more difficult to fix than it seems on the surface. I looked at the code myself but I know little about TypeScript and even less about AngularJS so I can’t help currently :(.

Feature name

Vault search field clear button in Firefox. (Edited)

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    Save time when you want to change the search words
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
    Time saving

Desktop and mobile apps already has this feature.

1 Like

This already exists, unless you are asking for something different. Clicking the :heavy_multiplication_x: symbol at the right edge of the search field will clear it.

Browser Extension:

Web Vault:

What browser are you using? It does not exist in my Firefox.
Now checked yes it exists in Chrome based browsers.

I edited the request.

1 Like

Well, I don’t have it/don’t see it in my Firefox addon either …

Is there anything to do to make it appear?

1 Like

Edge browser has X (Bitwarden v.2023.10.1):
edge

Firefox does not (Bitwarden v.2023.9.2):
firefox

The Firefox sidebar extension does not have x to clear either:

1 Like

Any official update on this reported issue?