Chrome built-it function Save Password reveals password

Hi there,

I’m new to BW and I’m trying to understand how it works.

Main feature for me is to safely share credentials without giving passwords to other person.
It seems like it works, BUT one main flaw what I see is:
In Google Chrome as example:
when person who I share credentials with goes to website and use saved credentials from BW vault filled to “user name” and password, the Chrome built-it function Save Password allows to save and see passwords. Thus it’s no safe at all.
Please advise how to make it safe.

Alex

If you share login credentials with someone, you have to assume they can actually see the password. How would this work otherwise?

1 Like

It is not possible to make things “safe”, they can only be made reasonably safe. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances.

If you allow someone to login then they may well be able to change a password, depending on the particular system. They may be able to see it, again depending on the particular system.

What you can do is have a separate login for the person you share this with. However, they may well be able to see it unless they are very unsophisticated. You are probably not going to be able to stop a sophisticated person from seeing the information.

I’m looking for a solution that allows me to give someone an access without giving actual password.
Thus I can revoke access any time.

I’m looking for a solution that allows me to give an access without giving actual password.
Thus I can revoke access any time.
I don’t mind to give username but not a password, and almost all modern systems require current password to change for another one.

What you are looking for does not exist. Not just in Bitwarden, but any password manager.

1 Like