Can't enable browser extension biometrics

I’ve done all that multiple times. I even un/reinstalled Chrome. The issue is actually present on 2 separate computers. One runs Windows 10 and the other Windows 11. As I noted above, it works flawlessly on Firefox on both machines.

Thanks for confirmation, if you haven’t already, I would suggest adding your setup details in Github.

I have a similar issue: I’m on Firefox and when I try to activate the Bitwarden Biometrics, it tells me that it is waiting for confirmation from desktop. It then proceeds to do nothing. I have also tried all of the things in this forum to fix this and would like to hear if there is a Firefox workaround for this.

1 Like

Hey @Enno_Enno, just to confirm, you have the desktop app open prior to this process?

Yes I have it open. The OS is Windows 10 btw.

Thanks for confirmation, I don’t see an open issue, but feel free to create one here on Github.

I was able to fix this in Chrome after experiencing the issue.

While logged in to both desktop and chrome extension, disable the browser integration in the desktop app, try to enable biometrics in Chrome extension (getting the error again) then re-enable browser integration in the desktop app, then try to enable biometric login in the extension once more (successfully this time)

15 Likes

Solved the issue on Windows 11 and Edge. Thank you!

I understand that this problem came up a few times already, but unfortunately nothing helped on my side.

I’m getting “Browser integration is not enabled” when trying to enable Windows Hello on the extension.

I downloaded Bitwarden from the website. I also enabled the extension to access file URIs. I already tried turning the features off and on again. I tried uninstalling the extension and enabling it. This had some results, namely:

1. No error, browser asks for permissions (communication with native devices).
  2. When I click approve, browser extension locks, asks for Master password.
  3. After Unlock, Windows Hello is still not on and when I try to turn it on I get the usual error “Browser integration is not enabled”.

I tried uninstalling everything, doing it over again, turning features on and off and nothing helped.

After restarting my laptop since the installation of bitwarden 2022.6.0 I can no longer unlock by fingerprint on the browsers (Google or Firefox).
The desktop application opens correctly by fingerprint

1 Like

Can you try the following?

• In Bitwarden Desktop

• ​Disable Login With Windows Hello
    • Disable Browser integration.
  • Restart your machine

• In Bitwarden Desktop

• Enable Browser Integration
    • Enable Windows Hello / Biometrics
  • In the Browser Extension:

• Enable Biometrics
1 Like

Hello,

Edge latest version on Windows 11 21H2. Followed every step, did not work. Please re-open this thread.

This scenario does not work for me.

Actually after re-installation of bitwarden desktop at level v2022.5.1 :
firefox with extension at level 2022.5.1 works
but not googlechrove with extension at level 2022.6.0

Thanks for confirmation, for those who the steps above do not provide resolution, the team is working towards a resolution.

Have same situation with Brave browser…tried everything…still getting Browser Integration not enabled

Windows 10, Firefox 102.0.1 (w/ Bitwarden extension v 2022.6.0) Desktop Bitwarden version 2022.6.0.

I have gone through all the procedures listed above. Still says Browser Integration not enabled…even though it is enabled.

I am not using the MS Store version of either Firefox or Bitwarden.

Thank you for your assistance!

(Javascript, C++'s 2005 - 2022 x86 & x64 installed if any of that matters)

After some digging, I’ve got mine running again. I had to create a new key in the registry:
“HKCU\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.8bit.bitwarden”

Next, I had to modify the default value to show:

“C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden\browsers\chrome.json”

After manually adding the key/value, everything works as normal.

This appears to be something that the developers have been struggling with for while. It is repeatedly acknowledged, but it’s an outstanding bug that nobody has fixed.

4 Likes

I had the same issue, except I didn’t set it to require fingerprint phrase.
After manually adding the mentioned registry key for Firefox it started working.

Maybe worth mentioning I installed both Bitwarden and Firefox using Chocolatey.
Otherwise new win11 setup.

So thank you for the fix :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I can’t use biometrics fingerprint unlock on Brave.
I use the browser extension 2022.6 and when i active the option, i have the prompt of Brave asking me the permission.
But when i accept it, my extension get lock and when i unlock it, the option is disabled and impossible to active it again, i got an error like the option is disabled on my desktop app and that is not the case.

I don’t understand how it’s possible.

For information, i am using a trustkey G320H.
My app is the 2022.6.1 version
The browser extension is the 2022.6

Thanks

Thanks a lot, it’s working using the solution of @lbarnette
@bw-admin you have your fix here :slight_smile:

1 Like