Can't enable browser extension biometrics

Thank you! After digging online for days a variation of your solution got it to work for me.
For everyone struggling with enabling biometrics for Bitwarden in your browser, here’s how I did it (all credit to @mdeherder):

1. Installed Bitwarden (current version 2022.6.1)
  2. Logged into Bitwarden
  3. Enabled Biometrics (Windows Hello)
  4. Enabled Browser integration
  5. Installed the Browser extension (in my case Firefox, but it also worked on Edge and Chrome)
  6. Logged into the browser extension
  7. Windows Key + R opens the “run” window
  8. enter “regedit” (without ") and hit enter
  9. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\NativeMessagingHosts\
  10. For me, the folder " com.8bit.bitwarden" was missing
  11. Right click on “NativeMessagingHosts” → New → Key"
  12. Name the folder “com.8bit.bitwarden” (without ")
  13. In this folder there is a “default” entry, double click
  14. In the value field, enter “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden\browsers\firefox.json” (without ")
  15. Confirm, close the registry editor
  16. Now try enabling biometrics in your browser again, it should work (Click allow on the browser prompt)

For me it seems the problem is Bitwarden (the extension) or that the browser would not create the necessary registry entry.

For Chrome / Edge / whatever users:
This should be applicable for you as well. Just navigate to your browsers registry entry where you can also find the folder NativeMessagingHosts and create the same entry, just with a different value, eg “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden\browsers\chrome.json” for Google Chrome

You can also use “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden\browsers” to check if there’s a .json file for your preferred browser in that folder. For me, everything was there. If it’s missing, that’s a different issue…

Hope this helps.

8 Likes