Can't enable browser extension biometrics

Hi There

I just installed the latest Bitwarden Desktop app along with the latest Browser extension(V 1.48) for Edge(Chromium) to be able to user Biometric for login into the brwoser extension.
But for some reason I can’t enable Biometric login in the browser extension. I get an error message saying “Browser integration not enabled” even though I already did enable that in the Desktop app.

Anybody else have the same issue? Or what could I be doing wrong?

11 Likes

Welcome Sindysg,
Can you reinstall the browser extension and try again? Also it the Bitwarden Desktop upto date? If the browser extension asks any permission , please grant the permission.

Hi vachan

I tried to reinstall the extension but still no luck.
By the way I had to manually downlload and install the extension since the version that’s automatically downloaded through the browser via MS Store is still the old one V1.47.1. I installed it by enabling Developer mode in the browser.

Desktop should be the very latest :
Version 1.24.1
Shell 6.1.7
Renderer 76.0.3809.146
Node 12.4.0
Architecture x64

I just tried on Chrome instead of Edge Chromium and here it works fine.
The problem in Edge is probably because version 1.48 is not official on MS Store yet. They still have 1.47.1 whereas Chrome already has the new one 1.48.

Hi I got the same problem on my Macbook Pro. I keep getting the error message saying “Browser integration not enabled” even though I already did enable it in the Desktop app.
Firefox: 84.0.2
BW Addon: 1.48.0
Desktop BW App: 1.24.1

Same versions here, and same issue. Doesn’t seem to work on latest Safari for me, either.

2 Likes

Same here. macOS Big Sur + Firefox / Chrome

2 Likes

Same problem with macOS Catalina 10.15.7, Bitwarden Version 1.24.1 (509) reinstalled from Mac App Store & browser integration enabled, with or without Require verification for browser integration enabled, but desktop app remains idle upon browser extension Browser integration request.
Reinstalled also the extensions. Tried:

• Safari, which will lead to a confirmation wait from desktop App
  • Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, (ext ver 1.48.0) which will lead to Browser integration not enabled

The integration and TouchID support does not work. The extension complains the integration is not enabled from the desktop app. But I have enabled it.

• Big Sur (11.1)
  • Chrome 88.0.4324.96 (also the previous 87 did not work)
  • BW 1.24.1 from App Store on Desktop
  • BW Extension 1.48.0 for Chrome

As mentioned above I got Biometric unlock to work in Chrome. BUT when biometric unlock is enabled Vauly timeout is not respected. So no matter which vault timeout I choose I always have to login in again if I shut down the browser.

Not working for me neither.

Tried to reinstall the desktop app (from App Store) and the Chrome browser extension multiple times. “Enable browser integration” is checked, permissions for the extension granted, regardless, it always displays “Browser integration is not enabled” error.

• Big Sur: 11.1 (20C69)
  • App version: 1.24.1 (509)
  • Chrome: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (x86_64)
  • Extension version: 1.48.0

This is also occuring for me - I have tried disabling and re-enabling the desktop application with and without restarts in between, also restarting the browser sometimes. It has worked once and never worked since.

• Windows 10 20H2
  • Firefox 84.0.2
  • Extension 1.48.0
  • Desktop 1.24.1, from Windows Store

I’m having the same issue.

• Mac OS Big Sur 11.1
  • Chrome 88.0.4324.96
  • Bitwarden app 1.24.1 (from App Store)
  • Bitwarden extension 1.48.0
1 Like

Yup, same for me.

• Mac OS Big Sur 11.1
  • Chrome 88.0.4324.96
  • Bitwarden desktop 1.24.1 installed through the MacOS App Store
  • Bitwarden extension 1.48.0

Hi all,
same problem on MacBook Pro 13", Big Sur 11.1
Chrome 88.0.4324.96
Safari 14.0.2 (16610.3.7.1.9)

Tried reinstalling the browser extensions and restarting the Mac but it didn’t help. Was so delighted to see the biometrics support in the version notes :frowning: Hope it’s figured out soon!

Cheers,
Robert

Same here.

• Windows 10 20H2
  • Bitwarden Desktop v1.24.1 (Microsoft Store)
  • Firefox v84.0.2
  • Bitwarden Add-on v1.48.0

Hi Bitwarden Friends, we are aware of issues some people are seeing with browser biometrics. Thank you for reporting setup/device details. Stay tuned. Gary

11 Likes

I’m not the one here to tell you what to do but if there’s anything good that can be taken out of this rollout, it’s that the desktop builds need to be tested better on non-dev machines, and with actual use-cases. This could have been caught with some extra info in the PR on how to reproduce the MSS and verify it works.

3 Likes

Same. macOS Big Sur + Chrome / Firefox as well

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback, it is appreciated. Unfortunately we’re seeing issues with Desktop coming from macOS App Store which does not have Beta publishing/testing programs (similar to TestFlight for iOS).

We’ll look into, however, setting up a Beta program for UWP for the Windows Store so we can capture issues through there, otherwise we do thoroughly try to test our apps through what publishing methods are available to us before an official release.

1 Like