Bring Web Vault Only functionalities to the desktop application (or other clients)

Make Local Desktop App be the same as web vault , by bringing all Web only features too it such as the option to import/export, manage folders, security reports, add/remove 2FA, restore or delete account etc

currently Desktop client is no more than an heavy version of browser extension makes no sense to have it, I understand that the extensions may be nerfed on purpose to make it lightweight, but the desktop app should be a full fledged option for those who does`t like he idea of having to access web site and re entering master password every time we must manage something in the vault.

1 Like

This would be great, something I miss. It only take a few minutes of using a native non-electron app like 1Password to notice the difference in speed and UI interaction smoothness.

I am totally new to Bitwarden, but what a breath of fresh air their crystal clear and clean UI/UX is (in the webversion and Chrome extension) compared to for example Lastpass’s webversion. It makes BW a joy to use.

That brings me to my novice question: can someone explain to me what the benefits are of a native desktop application, if there is already such a fantastic webversion available that works on all platforms?

Thanks,
Grover.

Local App grants offline and one click away access and management of your accounts (in case Bitwarden servers goes down for example), not depending on web vault to do things like importing backups, setting 2FA, search for breachs and weak passwords etc. its like comparing an web mail with an desktop client, they do the same thing in the end of the day, some people love the former and dont see the need for the later, others hate to rely on internet connection and browser loading time just to read an message, I am in the 2nd group.

I see, that makes sense. Good example concerning email… I am coincidentally in the midst of switching from Outlook (2010!) to Gmail and now discovering the pro and cons of both.

1 Like

Hi

It would be very handy to be able to create collections from the dekstop application. I very rarely use the Web Vault.

Would this be at all possible? is it on the roadmap?

Thanks

@Chris_Jackson thanks for the feedback! Definitely something we’re keeping an eye on, but no dev timeline/roadmap item just yet.

and to mobile too, for on-the-go configurations.

I joined BitWarden yesterday and a pattern I’m noticing is - bunch of feature requests that I’m interested in, that were marked as “being looked into” - are in that same state since years! Doesn’t give me confidence,

Hey @Warden1 thanks for joining the Bitwarden community! Please keep in mind that there are many open feature requests. To see what the team has been up to, check out https://bitwarden.com/help/releasenotes/

Many of the top feature requests require more research to be implemented in a safe and standardized way and the team is always keeping an eye to the security landscape and changing standards, focusing first and foremost on maintaining and developing a secure product.

Reports functionality in IOS APP

• There is no reports in the IOS APP

Feature function

• Allow user to run reports without using web GUI
  • One GUI for all funtionality

Lastpass provides this

• Lastpass supports all functionality form APP GUI

Feature name

• Ability to change your master password, and import vaults from within client-sided apps, not just the web vault.

Feature function

• This feature will merely implement the aforementioned features from the web vault into the client apps.
  • This feature will allow users to use only the client-side apps, and avoid the web vault which has an inherently higher attack surface. Using the web vault relies on the server not being compromised, and serving malicious JavaScript. When using the client apps, this attack vector is not there, and there is greater security.

I am aware that the web vault has a good use for enterprise, as well as other benefits. However, people should have the option of avoiding it entirely if they want to, and that is not possible with Bitwarden at this time. This suggestion would be a fair compromise; keep the web vault, and all its features intact, and provide the ability to not use it entirely if you choose.

Agreed. It would be very helpful to allow all changes from app vault without having to use web vault.

Are there any plans to include full functionality of all web vault features into client apps, such as password changes, 2FA changes etc.

Some features are only accessible through the web portal such as password audits, equivalent domains, and breach reports. Are those features going to be ported into the desktop and browser apps?

In another thread, a user mentioned that malicious actors were creating similar URLs to that of the web portal. Feature parity across the product stack would help prevent phishing attempts.

Is this feature request planned for any upcoming updates? This would be a great feature to have especially with the recent increase in phishing websites.

Thanks for the feedback @Unnerving0789 you can see the current high level items on the roadmap here: Bitwarden Roadmap - Feature Requests - Bitwarden Community Forums

I’ve passed the feedback along :+1:

Any functionality relating to entering master password should be brought to client softwares.

The server hosting web vault code may be cracked anytime, and it’s not easy to notice that for users.
Client softwares are safer because the client code is static which is not loaded from a server every time. In addition, users can build the softwares from the source code by themselves.