Bitwarden won't save a new password

OK, I had the problem of saving passwords only on some sites and, where it occurred, I solved it as I indicated; then later, I got into the habit of entering the data directly in BW … it’s an operation you have to do only once, but if it’s a problem for you you can change your password manager, waiting for the BW developers to solve this problem of saving passwords …

Best regards

2 Likes

Doesn’t work in Edge 90.0.818.27 either.
Kinda key reason for using this type of app… and it doesn’t work…

1 Like

I agree. There are all manner of bells and whistles with these apps, but we really need it to do this basic function. It’s counter intuitive to get to a site and then not fill in the password, but instead, go to Bitwarden and fill it in there. It involves multiple clicks to create a blanks, type the login, go to another window to generate a password, copy it, paste it into the new blank login, then save it and then use it.

I’m running into this too. Is this a known bug?

• macOS 11.3.1
  • Bitwarden 1.49.1
  • Chrome 90.0.4430.93
  • Firefox 88.0.1

It is not working for me as of August 18, 2022. I am wondering how Bitwarden got such good reviews.

Hey everyone, just to check in, have you disabled your native system’s ability to manage passwords? This can often cause interference: Disable a Browser's Built-in Password Manager | Bitwarden Help & Support

1 Like

Yes, the native password fill was turned off. I had to manually enter a url, user id and password directly in Bitwarden. And then if I wanted to fill, I had to tell it to copy each field. Just too many steps. I never realized how hard it is to get a decent cross platform (including chrome operating system.) I like the idea that it is open source and a small company. But as others have said, it comes down to it needing to fulfill basic functionality.

Hey @mikeindc thanks for additional detail and feedback, and just to confirm ‘ask to add login’ and ‘ask to update existing login’ haven’t been disabled?

On a personal note, as no password manager can guarantee 100% compatibility with all sites, I tend to work in the sidebar available in Firefox/Opera, or in other browers you can pop-out manually using the icon in the top left.

Correct, neither has been disabled. I did try disabling and enabling. I admit, I only tried 2 sites (but basic the way user id and password are entered) and only on Safari (and just one test on Chrome). I used 1Pass for year’s but really hate the newest update and was hoping to find a replacement. I think the Bitwarden interface is fantastic but want that works consistently with little work from me.