💻 Bitwarden Unified Beta (feedback thread)

Hi,
Out of the box installation, I have an organization license and entered it to create the organization
Yet the Vault menu always keeps loading, New Item doesn’t work and New Collection keeps loading as well

I’m running a MySQL 8.0.32 on 2023.2.0 beta
SSL is on and company certificate is working ok

However in the browser Ctrl+Alt+J gives me a lot of these errors on the page:
websocket

Edit: Important to mention is that I’m running the container in an Azure VM with IPvlan mode

@Leslie Same issue with Synology running diskstation 7.1.1. Family license but same outcome. Here is the bug in detail. Collections cannot be managed in family organization · Issue #2750 · bitwarden/server (github.com)

I was getting very similar errors as you in the browser dev tools.

Also I believe this is a related bug. Not sure if they have it fixed or not. It’s marked needs QA. But both of these issues appear to be caused by the same if not similar issues. [PM-1191] collections cannot be managed in family organization by coroiu · Pull Request #2765 · bitwarden/server (github.com)

Maybe this bug will start to get a little more priority and release attention since its applicable to both Paid Family and Paid Organization licensing.

Hi, thanks for pointing all this out.
My trial is about to end and paying for a Premium Enterprise

So it would be nice to have a working Organization :slight_smile:

Personally I’d be more than willing to test it from a /dev pull. This is EXACTLY the same thing that I requested and the issue I have. I was testing it on family but plan on purchasing Premium Enterprise as well. I was told to install the non-unified server version which we will end up doing but it is more involved in standing that up. I realize this is ‘beta’ but man a show stopping ability needs to be addressed. This isn’t a bug that is just irritating its debilitating.

I agree
But that being said, the functionality does work through the Bitwarden client app (and browser plug-in)

You can’t manage or add users from the app or browser plugin. Not sure if you’ve checked but that bug affects inviting/adding and managing users along with any addition or modification to vaults. If you can see the existing org vault that’s great but it limits all other functionality besides daily usage of the vault.

I’m having the same issue as Leslie. I’m self-hosting on Rocky Linux 9 & MariaDB with Unified. I get the spinners in the Organizations area. I’m using a cert that I generated from our internal CA. Instead of using the image command in my docker-compose.yml file I’m calling “build: .” and then in my Dockerfile I’m copying the CA cert, Bitwarden cert + and key, and running update-ca-certificates.

I tried switching to SQLite to see what would happen. Different bug!? When I upload my license file to add my organization it tells me it was successful, but the organization doesn’t add. If I attempt it again, it says another organization is using my license file. With MariaDB the license file was ingested and the organization adds, I just get spinners in the Organization area. With SQLite the organization doesn’t even add.

From my api.log:

2023-03-08 16:56:07.923 +00:00 [ERR] The LINQ expression ‘DbSet()
.Where(cg => cg.Collection.OrganizationId == __organizationId_0 && __Select_1
.Contains(cg.Collection.Id))
.GroupBy(cg => cg.CollectionId)
.Select(g => g)’ could not be translated. Additional information: Translation of ‘Select’ which contains grouping parameter without composition is not supported. Either rewrite the query in a form that can be translated, or switch to client evaluation explicitly by inserting a call to ‘AsEnumerable’, ‘AsAsyncEnumerable’, ‘ToList’, or ‘ToListAsync’. See Client vs. Server Evaluation - EF Core | Microsoft Learn for more information.
System.InvalidOperationException: The LINQ expression ‘DbSet()
.Where(cg => cg.Collection.OrganizationId == __organizationId_0 && __Select_1
.Contains(cg.Collection.Id))
.GroupBy(cg => cg.CollectionId)
.Select(g => g)’ could not be translated. Additional information: Translation of ‘Select’ which contains grouping parameter without composition is not supported. Either rewrite the query in a form that can be translated, or switch to client evaluation explicitly by inserting a call to ‘AsEnumerable’, ‘AsAsyncEnumerable’, ‘ToList’, or ‘ToListAsync’. See Client vs. Server Evaluation - EF Core | Microsoft Learn for more information.
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.NavigationExpandingExpressionVisitor.VisitMethodCall(MethodCallExpression methodCallExpression)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.NavigationExpandingExpressionVisitor.VisitMethodCall(MethodCallExpression methodCallExpression)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.NavigationExpandingExpressionVisitor.Expand(Expression query)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.QueryTranslationPreprocessor.Process(Expression query)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.QueryCompilationContext.CreateQueryExecutor[TResult](Expression query)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryCompiler.<>c__DisplayClass9_01.<Execute>b__0() at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.CompiledQueryCache.GetOrAddQuery[TResult](Object cacheKey, Func1 compiler)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryCompiler.Execute[TResult](Expression query)
at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.EntityQueryProvider.Execute[TResult](Expression expression)
at System.Linq.Queryable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IQueryable1 source, Expression1 predicate)
at Bit.Infrastructure.EntityFramework.Repositories.CollectionRepository.<>c__DisplayClass10_1.b__7(CollectionDetails collection) in /source/src/Infrastructure.EntityFramework/Repositories/CollectionRepository.cs:line 247
at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectListIterator`2.ToList()
at Bit.Infrastructure.EntityFramework.Repositories.CollectionRepository.GetManyByUserIdWithAccessAsync(Guid userId, Guid organizationId) in /source/src/Infrastructure.EntityFramework/Repositories/CollectionRepository.cs:line 246
at Bit.Api.Controllers.CollectionsController.GetManyWithDetails(Guid orgId) in /source/src/Api/Controllers/CollectionsController.cs:line 88
at lambda_method1517(Closure , Object )
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ActionMethodExecutor.AwaitableObjectResultExecutor.Execute(IActionResultTypeMapper mapper, ObjectMethodExecutor executor, Object controller, Object[] arguments)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.g__Logged|12_1(ControllerActionInvoker invoker)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.g__Awaited|10_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Rethrow(ActionExecutedContextSealed context)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.Next(State& next, Scope& scope, Object& state, Boolean& isCompleted)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ControllerActionInvoker.g__Awaited|13_0(ControllerActionInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)
at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Infrastructure.ResourceInvoker.g__Awaited|26_0(ResourceInvoker invoker, Task lastTask, State next, Scope scope, Object state, Boolean isCompleted)

I’ve installed the beta version of the unified self-hosted container. So far, I’m very happy with it.

The one thing I can not figure out is backups. The announcement page points to the self-hosted backup page, but the bwdata file doesn’t exist.

I’m using mariadb. Should I just run a mysql backup command and then backup the directory mounted to /etc/bitwarden on the bitwarden container?

Thanks.

Jeff

Thanks for the confirmation friend…

I am currently on the tag “beta” and still on version 2023.7.1!
If I check the docker page I see that there are now tags for each version.

So is the “beta” tag outdated and we should always use the version tag with beta?

Have asked them this twice so far but basically keep getting “the newer versions are unstable”
Which is an incredibly dumb answer seeing as we already are in a beta so why bother keeping the beta tag that far behind.
Its literally 2 versions behind -_-

Its so much easier to use and setup that I wish they would just continue pressing through development … instead they make it look like it will be dropped sooner rather than later.

Edit: For some reason repuling the image didnt work. Updating it through watchtower and synology container manager didnt work.
Had to actually fully remove the image, redownload it and then use it to recreate the container THEN it did work for me to have it at the latest version. Not sure why, but be a me issue.

The latest beta with the tag as beta I have installed is 10.2 and I see an update 3 days ago which might be 10.3. Seems to me the beta tag is in sync.

Latest beta and 2024.2.0-beta both do not work for me.

2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr To install missing framework, download:
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr Troubleshoot app launch failures - .NET | Microsoft Learn
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr Learn more:
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr 8.0.2 at [/usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr The following frameworks were found:
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr .NET location: /usr/share/dotnet
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr Framework: ‘Microsoft.NETCore.App’, version ‘6.0.0’ (x64)
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr Architecture: x64
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr App: /usr/local/bin/hbs
2024/02/16 17:05:17 stderr You must install or update .NET to run this application.

2024.1.2-beta is ok.

Anyone else experiencing the same ?

Update, new beta pushed, doesn’t work either

2024/02/16 21:11:12 stderr /entrypoint.sh: line 85: 39 Aborted (core dumped) /usr/local/bin/hbs
2024/02/16 21:11:12 stderr -----
2024/02/16 21:11:11 stderr …+…+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+.+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2024/02/16 21:11:10 stderr …+.+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+…+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*…+…+…+…+…+.+…+…+.+…+…

If Bitwarden is reading this, are you testing it before pushing it out ?

Everyone has that in the newer versions. Bitwarden downloads a version of .net which is not the same as bitwarden itself tries to use.
Only way is to switch your image from beta tag to an older tag… for example: bitwarden/self-host:2024.1.2-beta
This has been going on for about a week or 2 so far.

1 Like

Dev tag seems to work now. The beta tag however now has an nginx user issue instead of the .net issue so is yet to be fully fixed. Hoping next beta tag update will get it working again.

1 Like