PDF display issues in Web Vault and in Bitwarden Send

Like the title says, after I sent the link to someone, and they open it in chrome, the download link opens a “blob” type page with the pdf open at a small height and it is not possible to read or download it.

1 Like

Can you try to recreate the send with a newly generated send link?
You can upload the same file, and create the send with the same expiration, deletion date, password if applicable, etc. But this should still provide a different Send link, after this is created and saved please try to open the link in another window (preferably in an incognito browser) and see if this works as expected.

Happens in incognito mode as well, also to other people(a client I send a PDF).
It does work right on firefox tho.

I created a test one with a dummy PDF:
https://send.bitwarden.com/#LD83G25Z3UWYBK6KAHA4NA/kdL_JDKznUyu7yyybEgSIA

I get the same issue with this one

1 Like

Thanks @justforcomment the team is aware and looking into a fix :+1:

1 Like

Hey any update or where I could followup about the status on this one?

Thanks for your patience everyone, the team is working on a fix and expected to be resolved in the July release. :+1:

1 Like

Hi,

Are you able to share any updates with this issue? Not being able to Send pdfs is not ideal.
Thanks.

Thanks for your patience, this should be resolved in the next release.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a release date for the next release?

hello
i have a problem on a pdf file in my send.
When i want give a pdf file, every time is not possible to download the file or the display is broken on the web.
Have you got a solution ?
Corentin

What seems to be going on when trying to download the PDF via the Send URL?

It may be related to some similar posts I found

Hello
Yes this is the same problem
It’s not possible to download the file, and it’s opening on a small windows on google chrome

TEST :
https://send.bitwarden.com/#g1QYUvhfJ0-9ya6zAOnplA/7tGpanZOjtXcTH570zl9gw

Have you got a solution ?

Thanks for your patience everyone, the team is working on a fix for chrome and expected to be resolved in the July release. :+1:

2 Likes

When I try using Firefox on Linux, it opens in a popup window. I can then download the file from there.

It opens automatically in a new tab for me using Firefox 101.0.1 on MacOS. No issues here. Perhaps your browser settings are causing the new tab/page to be blocked from opening?

hello,
thanks so much for the solution.
now it’s good!

I’m having a strange issue with secure note attachments in the web vault with Chrome on Mac.

Whenever I open a PDF attachment from the web vault, it opens in a new browser tab (other file types download, but that’s not important here). The issue is that the PDF viewer takes up a narrow, horizontal band at the top of the browser (see attached). It’s about 150px in height, is vertically scrollable, and has none of the PDF action buttons and informational wrapping that would be expected when opening a PDF in the Chrome browser. I’ve attached an image of an expected result, which I was able to force by toggling some CSS in DevTools.

I have Chrome set as the default application for PDFs, but it’s also the default for JPG, PNG, and many other file types. Note that this problem does not apply to the browser extension, which downloads all file types, including PDF.

Apple M1 Pro MBP 16"
MacOS Ventura 13.1
Chrome Version 108.0.5359.124 (Official Build) (arm64)
Bitwarden web vault Version 2022.12.0

Attachment location

Initial result

Inspected result

Expected result

I can confirm the same behavior in Chrome and Edge on a Windows 10 system. Thus, I will change the title of your topic to “PDF attachments in web vault open inside narrow band” (from “PDF attachments in Google Chrome (Mac) web vault open inside narrow band”).

Some other similarly related issues regarding .pdf files opening in blob:https://… though this shows resolved from a previous release according to @bw-admin and others who seem to confirm the fix.

I would likely recommend contacting Bitwarden directly at their support channel, or possibly opening a GitHub issue on the topic as I currently do not see any open issues regarding this, to hopefully get this resolved as quickly as possible. Thanks for the information in this report :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks all, I’ve merged a few of the related PDF threads. As @cksapp mentioned, feel free to drop a new Github bug report as I don’t see an open one for PDF issues.