Bitwarden Roadmap

A post was split to a new topic: Access to Organizations?

This doesn’t even have to be an auto fill. What is the difference with putting an auto fill icon on the user name field, vs right clicking and selecting auto fill. With an icon on the user name field it’s one click and then it auto fills. The other way it’s 4 clicks, right click, left click 3x’s for Bitwarden to auto fill.

3 Likes

Can we get an actual timeline to implement the popup overlay feature? As a tech founder myself I’m scratching my head as to why this isn’t at the top of your queue.

4 Likes

Just to add some balance, I have no interest in this feature and would switch it off if it was an option. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I understand that a lot of people on here would like to see it implemented, but users of this community are a tiny proportion of the user base. The BW team are quite open about what’s in the pipeline and there’s a high-level roadmap. There are many other features and enhancements being requested and worked on. Personally, I’d like to see additional item types next.

5 Likes

100% agree. I use autofill constantly and that feature would have no use to me. Now additional item types is something I definitely would use immediately.

4 Likes

I agree as well. After learning how Bitwarden is meant to be used, I see no advantage to this request other than to make Bitwarden feel more like other software out there. I chose Bitwarden because it is simple, elegant, fast, economical, and very secure. Adding frivolous features like this can only detract from the qualities I like most about Bitwarden.

2 Likes

I did not know what exactly a popup overlay is.
Hmmm, I guess I never needed such a gimmick, so I prefer to pass it and focus on more important aspects.

1 Like

The overlay popup interface should be optional and disabled by default imo

I love the feature but I think most people wouldnt like it

Overlay feature continues to outpace additional item types on votes by the community. Additionally it is the most voted feature request, clearly it’s a popular item.

2 Likes

Most popular but least useful.
Find the error!

1 Like

There are currently 23,290 registered users of this community. I’m guessing that’s a small proportion of overall Bitwarden users. 779 votes might seem like a lot, but it’s not representative of the overall user base.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be worked on - clearly there are people that would really like to see it implemented. I just wouldn’t want to see the team prioritising work purely based on a vote from a relatively small number of users.

From my point of view, I won’t use it. If it’s implemented, I hope it’s an optional feature.

3 Likes

While I agree it might not be for everyone, I don’t see why having this feature would subtract any of the Bitwarden features you mentioned.
Also being more “like other software out there” is not wrong if the “other software” has interesting and useful features. I think that is the whole reason why people request new features.
Let’s hope the team can spare the time for this.

2 Likes

Sure there are more fundamental things to work on.
But it is the number one voted request on the forum.
I hope the team takes that into consideration.

The overlay pop-up was one of the things that caused me to switch to Bitwarden from 1Password. I found it incredibly intrusive and the final straw was the Safari iOS extension allowing the same feature on iPhone and iPad.

1 Like

Your comment worries me a lot. Starting with:

• If votes are not the mechanism used by the community to prospect for new features, then why does this system exist?
  • Those 700+ are users who bothered enough to enter the forum and put their vote, surpassing the rest of the features listed.

Please, don’t get me wrong… even for me this functionality becomes secondary when there are so many basic things that are not in the product like:

• More item categories
  • Offline support
  • OTP QR scan in all clients, including desktop
  • Store documents on mobile devices
  • More field types
  • Tags… I mean tags…
3 Likes

Think of the feature requests as a suggestion box - the more votes that are cast for the same suggestion, the more attention it gets by the Bitwarden developers or community members that want to make a contribution. Bitwarden is the youngest major player in the password manager industry, so it has a lot of room (and support) to grow, at least within the constraints of their modest development team.

What the Feature Requests category is not is a democracy, which I think some people seem confused about. Also note that there is no way to “downvote” a suggestion, no matter how insensible a feature request might be - that means that there is no way for those who have a dissenting opinion to cast a vote, so clearly it cannot be a democratic system, only suggestions.

One last observation - the most highly voted features seem to be requests to make Bitwarden behave more like a user’s previous password manager. For one, I am glad that the Bitwarden team is choosing other priorities over some of these requests because Bitwarden is a strong product that outperforms other password managers I have used, and I personally feel it would be a mistake to try to turn it into an inexpensive ‘clone’ of competitor’s projects.

4 Likes

Hi @Juanra,

Please bear in mind, I’m just a fellow Bitwarden user. I don’t work for Bitwarden and I have no influence in deciding what gets worked on. It was just my opinion as a user of the product.

Bitwarden have stated several times that they are evaluating how this should be implemented, so it sounds like those who want a popup overlay will get it at some point.

Cheers,
Dan

1 Like

I think it is about sharing items with a single user https://community.bitwarden.com/t/item-sharing/238

1 Like

As I mentioned in the chat at todays presentation, I would like to see Bitwarden take some sort of tact like Google with it’s Advanced Protection, and similarly Microsoft’s offering, to eliminate Master passwords altogether. For my Google, Microsoft, and when I log into work in the morning, I use a FIDO2 key (Yubikey) that is PIN protected. I have multiple keys to prevent being locked out, and it gives me the protection of MFA (something I know PIN and something I have, Yubikey). There is no risk of getting my master password compromised if I don’t have one at all.

I forgot to add, here’s a link to Google’s offering: Advanced Protection, and Microsoft’s offering https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2021/09/15/the-passwordless-future-is-here-for-your-microsoft-account/