[Solved] Bitwarden extension missing in Safari

Thanks for this, downloading Safari Technology Preview enabled the extension in safari for me. Good solution for now. I’m on an Intel MBP 2015, so this issue is definitely more than just M1 specific.

1 Like

I’m on a Macbook Air M1 with Big Sur 11.3.1 and the Safari extension is not available. I tried uninstalling Bitwarden using AppCleaner, rebooted the laptop, and re-installed via App Store. Still the extension is missing.

The extension is available and working in Chrome (arm64) and Firefox (arm64) though.

Just switched from Windows laptop to M1 MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.4 and have the same issue as the OP. Have downloaded the app from the App Store and it shows in the dock and everything looks fine when I run it but it doesn’t appear in Preferences>Extensions and it doesn’t pop up when a userid or password is required. Is this issue still ongoing for everyone else on M1s?

I’m on a 2014 MacBook Air and I had the same problem. The current solution that worked for me was starting Safari Technology Preview - before it was fully loaded, Safari asked if I would like to enable the Bitwarden extension. At least it’s a workaround in the interim.

I suffer the same issue in MacBook Air m1 with latest safari BW and system version.BW is also installed from App Store.It has icon in safari but its no use to click it.It seems that it has 2 extensions installed in safari because there are 2 installed(welcome?)-pages appeared when I installed BW.

I just fixed this - not sure why, but installing safari technology preview, (even if you don’t open or use it), gets the extension working again. Bitwarden team please look into this!

The solution (without installing Safari) can be found here:

3 Likes

I still have this same problem 3 years later in MacOS 14.2.1. I installed the app from the Mac store. At first the extension showed up in the browser toolbar. Then it disappeared from the toolbar and I had to re-enable it from the safari settings. Then it disappeared from the safari settings as well. I am not interested in running commands manually to reregister the extension. My LastPass extension that I use for work has never had this problem.