Bitwarden does not show as Safari extension (MacOS)

Was requested to close Safari (15.1) on Monterey to update Bitwarden (to 1.29.0 I assume) and now there is no Bitwarden Extension listed in Safari. Rebooted and reinstalled Bitwarden Desktop from the App Store, but nothing.

Any fix ?

Thanks

Same here on Monterey. You can use the previous version of Bitwarden from Time Machine, or another backup, if you have it. They are aware of this and said there will be a fix.

Fix has been submitted to the app store - once approved it will be available via a standard update.

6 Likes

Thank you for the update!! :+1:

That fix had better work or else I will move to 1Password.

I also have this issue om my Macbook/Safari

I installed Bitwarden from App Store but still the Safari Extension is not available to be selected.

Same. BS 11.6, Safari 15.1, Bitwarden 1.29.0 from App Store, extension missing from Safari. Rebuilding Launch services with Onyx didn’t fix.

For me it was the same as in an earlier discussion. In order to have the extension show up again, I needed to use AppCleaner.

I installed Bitwarden 1.29.1 but the extension is still missing in Safari.

It was told that 1.29.1 should resolve the issue - but it does not.

1 Like

Have installed update and all working again.

Thanks.

I’ve installed the update and I am still missing the Safari extension.

Welcome, @chk18!

You’ll need to go into Safari’s preferences and re-enable it under Extentions.

If it’s not there, you may need to rebuild launch services using the following command - or use the maintenance function in Onyx for macOS.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

6 Likes

The extension wasn’t listed when I went to enable it, but I tried your second suggestion and that did the trick. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Enabling Safari extortion worked for me.

After upgrading MacOS to Monterey - the Safari extension is back and working.

If I use Onyx, can I use just that one option? That is, Rebuilding: Launch Services database,
or should I be selecting other options as well?

The reason for my question is that I did select only that one option and Bitwarden extension is still missing.

MacOS 11.6.1
Safari 15.1

I believe so, but I am not an expert on Onyx, unfortunately.

Is the extension not showing in Safari > Preferences > Extensions ?

1 Like

the latest update brought back the extension to safari for me, but I can’t activate. I get a system prompt (roughly translated) “safari found a service that prevents clicks. for your safety the extension is disabled”:

I already tried the terminal command and reinstalled Bitwarden twice from App Store with same result.
Any ideas?

macOS Monterey 12.0.1

Umm…
Sorry to be pedantic, but I asked two questions and I’m not sure which one you’re saying, ‘I believe so’ to!

And that’s fine. I don’t expect you, or anyone else, to be an expert on everything.

That’s correct. The extension is not showing.

I have installed BW 1.25.1 (I’m going from memory now as I’m not at a computer), or whatever the latest release number is, from the Mac App Store. The extension didn’t show, so I commented in GitHub on the thread about this problem.

I was then referred to here. So I followed the instructions provided by you, but I used Onyx, not the Terminal command. I selected just the one option, as I explained above, Onyx performed its work and then rebooted the machine.

After I logged in (and went through the login items), the first thing I did was open Safari and check to see if the BW extension was there. It wasn’t.

Sorry about that! I was saying I believe the maintenance option to rebuild the launch services to be enough.

If you’re comfortable, you may want to try running the command to get the extension back.

1 Like