Bitwarden desktop - Make update notification not steal the focus during startup

Frequent updates are great, but the update notification window which appears if there’s an update available during startup is too intrusive IMO. It steals the focus from you typing in your password and this is very annoying.

The main time you start up the Bitwarden desktop app is when you are in the middle of something and need a password quickly.

Can the notifications be changed to a notification bar within the window that’s already displayed so we can still be attracted to the new update but without it stealing the focus whilst we are about to (or in the middle of) typing our password.

4 Likes

Agreed.

When I become emperor I will have all programmers who produce software which steals the focus executed. If I’m feeling generous the execution method will be quick, but I don’t always feel generous.

1 Like

This can be a security issue as pressing space bar will start the update, closing the window. If you continue to type a pass phase into your keyboard, some of that text will find it’s way into the other windows that are open. If you happen to then press “Enter” you maybe just posted “se battery staple” to the twitter. Making this appear as a bar that pops down instead of a full focus modal would be much better and safer.

2 Likes

How To Prevent Programs From Stealing Focus in Windows is the only page I app trying to steal window activation AT ANY TIME (not just during startup /login). Makes having mutli monitors with multiple different windows open useless. Today I’d had enough and now I want this behavior stopped.

Hi,

I am using Bitwarden Desktop, and when I start the App when an Update is available, it creates a popup.
The PopUp is slightly delayed.

So what happens is the following:

1. I start Bitwarden
  2. I start typing my Password
  3. (Windows?) PopUp pops up
  4. I hit enter, to unlock my Safe
  5. PopUp gets the enter and starts next step of update

This is … incredibly annoying I must admit. I am not sure why it bothers me so much, but it would be great if
A) The PopUp is “in the background”, not interfering with my login
B) The Application would not have the delay until the popup comes

2 Likes

It is very annoying that when starting Bitwarden on Windows and starting to enter master password only to be interupted by notification about new version.
The normal use case is when starting Bitwarden if because a password is needed or a new entry need to be added.
To be constantly interupted by the update prompt WHILE ENTERING the master password is extremely annoying.
All for keeping the application up to date, but please for the love of good make this feature unintrusive.

On Windows as well as on Mac, Bitwarden checks for updates during startup. It never fails to present me the popup that offers me the update right in the middle of me entering my password.
Especially with many different devices this drives me crazy.

Please remove the popup and integrate this somehow different. E.g. put a button directly on the unlock screen with an Info.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, the team is aware and working to improve this process to avoid interruptions, stay tuned :+1:

2 Likes

I signed up for this portal for this one particular annoying issue. About every other day, I get the prompt and after typing my password and hitting Enter, that’s when I notice the prompt and now I’m getting prompted to run the installer. Once I’ve started entering a password, this prompt should be disabled until I’ve either logged in, or the next time I close the application. Preferably the latter.

1 Like

Thanks all, the team is aware and looking at a resolution.

Earlier Bitwarden used to show the ‘Restart to update’ message while entering password on starting Bitwarden. This was resolved in later versions. But now it is back. Either show this message before user starts entering password or after user has entered the password.

These is a small but constant source of frustration and takes away from user experience.

1 Like

Feature name

• Update Banner (Replaces Update Pop-up notification)

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    I propose that the desktop update notification be changed from a pop-up alert to a banner notification. The current problem is that 5 seconds after the application loads, I have begun entering my password. Unknowingly the pop-up has come up for ‘Bitwarden Restart to Update’ and the default focus selection is the ‘restart’ button, and when pressing ‘Enter/Return’ for my password entry, I’m actually clicking ‘Restart’ for the update because it has popped up with focus. I’m proposing that a better feature woulds be a banner or notification type icon indicating an update is available, versus what feels like a forced update.

• What benefits will this feature bring?
    This will bring a better user experience and result in updates being applied more frequently since a user is not wanting to update when they are needing quick access to a password.

• Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Ask the Community

1 Like

As i can see, this topic is not new to the forum. But it does not get the attention it needs as it seems.
When using the Desktop App for Bitwarden and you start to enter your very long Masterpassword (not all my devices have Windows Hello), the very annoying update popup appears. So you either click update or cancel and start to retype your password.

This is sooo annoying. And since there are a bunch of update (which in and of itself isn’t bad at all) this happens quite a lot.

Why not give us an option to disable this popup or maybe even prompting for an update once the user has been successfully logged in.

Best solution would be an “Update on exit” option.
But hey. Let’s start small :wink:

I’ve consolidated a few duplicated feature requests, and modified the topic title to be more descriptive (was: “Do not have ‘Update PopUp’ selected by default”).

I personally agree with the request, but have no more votes to give.

1 Like

Bumping this thread because, from a usability standpoint, this is my biggest grievance so far with the desktop app! My password is particularly long, and having a pop-up being shown halfway while I’m typing is very jarring. Either changing the pop-up timing, or changing the way it’s presented so it’s not as jarring to the user would be a great improvement.

This behavior is very frustrating and catches me off-guard every time. Most of the time when I open bitwarden I’m actively trying to finish some task. It’s frustrating to get the pop-up while I’m trying to get my mortgage paid. I’ll most likely click no to get past the prompt.

I am using multiple Bitwarden clients simultaneously (in various virtual machines) and this year-to-year, month-to-month update behaviour is something like psycho to me. From security perspective the software must be updated. From UX, the way of interruption (and subsequent restart of the BW client) in the middle of typing the super long master password - this seems to me like a prank. Do the Bitwarden developers actually use Bitwarden as they password manager?
Because if so, how could they live with that?

Better user experience would be to update onExit or BeforeUIStart

1 Like

I’m a paid subscriber to BitWarden for my family. I use not only the desktop app under Windows but also on my phone and within the web browser.

My feature request is for the Windows desktop application and that “superiorly” annoying upgrade dialog box that shows up, brought to the front, and defaults to YES.

I have a quick machine, and I do my best to keep it as responsive as I can (I HATE waiting for anything). I bring up BitWarden, I select and start typing and looking for the creds I need. While I’m typing, the app goes and pokes your servers to see if there’s an update. If I happen to be typing and then hit the space bar, with YES selected by default when that dialog shows up, I get upgraded, distracted from what I’m doing, and it’s super annoying.

I’m not saying upgrading is BAD, absolutely not. But when I’m being ASKED to upgrade, that’s the part that’s tickling the annoyance bone.

What I’m asking for is to get rid of that upgrade popup, and make an unobtrusive, but obvious “Upgrade” path with a red or green bar at the top or bottom of the screen. Either that, WAIT for a minute with the software being idle before being pestered about upgrades. DON’T force the dialog to be in my face because 99% of the time, BW is sitting in the background.

I know, downloads and upgrades are fast. But 95% of the time, I’m launching BitWarden to get something done, now, fast, not let it sit in the background to “warm up”. It can do the warm up process when I’m done getting that initial bit of information, then if I leave it up, absolutely nag me about upgrades because I’m probably going to be closing the app when I’m done whatever it is I’m doing.

Same here. Lately Bitwarden prompts for an update nearly every time I open it, and of course it does so when I’m entering the master password, messing it up and making me do it over.
Very annoying.
Would be better if the update prompt could be replaced by an update notification in the app with options skip/update on close/later

Its still not fixed. Cmon guys, its been 18 months. Please put this back into focus :face_exhaling: