Bitwarden automatically opens a window on each website with a master password re-promptet entry

@Joe_G I don’t disagree that PR #5384 has introduced some bugs, while other behaviors that have manifested as a result of this change fall more in the category of “unintended consequences”.

I don’t understand your issue with tuning of URI Match Detection Rules; this feature exists for a reason.

As it is, you are currently giving Bitwarden the following instructions:

• Automatically autofill every time a page is loaded.
  • Autofill on every page in the domain, not just the login page.
  • Re-prompt the master password before autofilling.

If you insist on all three requirements, then the natural consequence is that you will be presented with a master password prompt every time that you navigate to a new page in the matching domain. In my opinion, it is a bug that the prompt comes in the form of a new browser windows even when the browser extension is already unlocked, but if that bug is fixed, then you should still get a prompt within the browser extension pop-up each time that you load a page. The solution is to relax one of your three mutually incompatible requirements.

If you don’t want to reconfigure your URI Match Detection settings, then an alternative would be to selectively disable the auto-fill on page load option for those domains that have the master password re-prompt option enabled. You might even be able to write a script that automates this process.

I’ve been enjoying the product without needing to relax those requirements.

My issues with the proposal of tuning URIs are:

1. I have already tuned them and have 1400 entries that have all been working as intended to date.
  2. A login form may present on a wide range of URLs on a given site, making a narrower URI an impractical solution.
  3. A site may be developed in such a way that its URL doesn’t change during use, making a URI that does contain the login form persist throughout navigation. This again fails to accomplish a narrowing of the match scope to a page expected to have a login form and exclusion of other content pages.

Two other thoughts:

1. Re-prompt would seem to be mutually exclusive from auto-fill. Since re-prompt requires user action, it is in fact not auto-filling.
  2. If the page doesn’t contain a suitable form for which an auto-fill might be performed, should any auto-fill-related routine be asserted?

Please see the final paragraph of my previous comment.

@grb I thank you for your engagement on this topic. I have read your comment but, as a customer of this product, am unsatisfied with the suggestion that I should have to write a script to restore the behavior of the application. As I’m a casual participant in this forum your role is unclear to me, but my objective here is to convey the VoC and express my user story so that Product Management can understand the misstep here and commit to making it right. I’m not seeking laborious workarounds.

Hi all, in light of the additional information gained throughout this thread I have created a new Github Issue #6418 in the hopes this is also seen and considered by the dev team

Thanks

1 Like

@Joe_G I appreciate your thoughtful comment.

I am a user/customer just like you. By virtue of my level of activity on the forum, admins have bestowed upon me a “Leader” status, which includes the ability to move posts, rename or close topics, etc. However, I have no affiliation with Bitwarden, nor access to any privileged channels of communication with their developers or management.

My comments on the forum are a mix of advice, education, and personal opinions. I’ve offered you some work-arounds, which you are free to use or ignore.

i think this behavior is default in bitwarden Version: 2023.9.1. and maybe chrome 116 onwards . I don’t see a problem with it though.

I’m having this issue too using Edge v117.0.2045.43 and extension v2023.9.1

Yeah, I also thought about that, but the URI for Bitwarden is just “https://bitwarden.com/” and for Google I have “google.com” saved.

It shows a 404 error if you click the link. Probably you wanted to link GitHub Issue #6416.

Thanks for letting me know, my Issue #6418 shows as open for me but does not appear to be visible to anyone else. My #6418 was made at about the time of #6416 but contained further information.

I am relatively new to GitHub so am not quite sure why this is the case (I imagine it’s an account issue, even though profile is not set to private), but note this also happens to an unrelated Issue I posted in July - I guess this explains why there were no replies…

Interestingly, the number of “Open” Issues under https://github.com/bitwarden/clients/issues/ is also +2 when I’m logged in.

Since this GitHub related stuff isn’t relevant to this topic, I will write you a private message on this forum where we can discuss your GitHub problem if you’d like.

Any news about this. It is a very annoying issue.

@Korvenwin Yes, have a look at this comment.

1 Like

same issue on Firefox 118.0.2 (64-bit) Bitwarden extension Version: 2023.9.2.
Very frustrating

…but not quite so frustrating as to go through the trouble of disabling auto-fill on page load for those items, if you can’t wait for the October release?