Bitwarden App - ALWAYS asking for Master Password

I have been using BW for a number of years - both app and browser extension - and have not had any real issues. However, all of today whenever I try to access the app to autofill an app/site login, it ALWAYS asks for the master password. It has never done this before. I recently switched iPhones and transferred all my apps from one phone to another, logged out and back into the account, but it doesn’t make a difference. My settings:

Vault Timeout - 5 mins
Vault Timeout Action - Lock
Unlock with PIN code - Enabled

I have set it so that it asks for the master password when the phone is rebooted or I log out of the app; otherwise, I expect to enter the PIN.

If anyone can help, TIA.

Facing the same since months, doesn’t look like support has taken note of this!

Check the settings. If they are as mentioned above and the PIN has been set with Lock with master password on browser restart being deactivated it should work for you and it does so for me.
If you still experience issues uninstall the extension, close all windows of your browser, start the browser, re-install the extension and again adjust the settings.

I am facing this for the “app”
The extension issue is only on Windows, works fine in Linux.
I did do all basic tshoot before landing here.

This happens to me also using miui 13 or 12, I never had this problem with the Firefox extension

Hi, I am a new user for about 3-4 day refugee from LastPass and I do not have this problem.

I have set the vault timeout to a long number (since my phone is rapidly locked)
I am not using the PIN but facial recognition.

I hope this continues to work. This is working better than LastPass ever did.

On the Web Interface, I am a bit confused.

I work on Windows and have both the app and the browser plug in for both Mozilla and Chrome (Mozilla is my primary browser and Chrome the backup).

The app work fine with the PIN.

The browser, however is often asking me for my master password.

I do not see any easy options for login with the browser (PIN) and it looks like I have to do so or I have to copy manually passwords from the app.

Have I assessed the situation correctly, or am I missing something?

Re Browser add-on, what is the “Vault Timeout” set to in the addon/settings?
also “vault timeout action”.

Thanks, browser was very short… will see if life improves.

I do not have a Windows Hello capable camera on the PC and that is not enabled in the browser. Do not see PIN either?

I have been using the extension with no issues at all.

However, the iPad app is basically useless.

1. I open the app and login in to Bitwarden (BW) with 2fa.
  2. I then go and launch a site using the BW app and it will load
  3. I have the iPad IOS Password settings to autofill, BW is checked, and nothing else is active
  4. The “password” bar loads at the bottom of the screen.
  5. When I hit the password bar to load, it asks me to go through the BW full login process again, including 2fa, before it will fill. Every time, every site.
  6. I intentionally do not have biometrics or PIN enabled in the security settings.

So bottom line is I have to log in to BW every time I want to autofill a password.

I have searched within the app and blog and cannot see why this is happening.

Just enable FaceID instead of typing your MP each time.

Yes, thanks for the reply. This is the solution to the issue. This is due to my confusion and paranoia that enabling FaceID would allow both entry into the vault and the autofill.

I want to reiterate the exact problem posted by the OP: on an iPhone/iPad (at least), if “Unlock with PIN code” is set, auto-fill does not accept a PIN code, instead it demands the MP.

The only “solution” posted here is to use biometrics instead, but that’s a workaround, not a solution. There’s an “Unlock with PIN code” setting, and I want to use that.

Why? Because my phone unlocks with biometrics, so I don’t want a critical app – Bitwarden – to unlock in the same way. Defense in depth.

I am having the same issue. This just started happening a week ago. I would prefer not using faceID and I agree with another user, that is not a solution, that is just a workaround… It is supposed to function as 1-tap autofill.

Has anyone solved this?