Best way to install Bitwarden password manager on an ESXi VM

Hi
I’m more a User than a Linux expert, so I’m looking for an easy way to get Bitwarden on and running on man Vm on my tiny ESXi 7 server.

Background is that I had some attacks on my stuff, so I urgently need a PW Manager to get my Things safe on the net. - I want to leave LastPass asap and keep my Passwords at MY- Server!

Is there somewhere a OFA OVA or ISO out there for simple setup for Newbies?

I usually take the turnkey Core image with Debian but got in big troubles with Nextcloud installing PHP8 on this Debian.

Can someone pls be so kind and advise what to install to get Bitwarden in my VM?

Maybe someone has already done that, but I could not find a guide that I understand achieving this

Hope for patients with a newbie & help
Many THX

You’ll want a VM capable of running a current well supported and stable edition of most any common Linux distribution. A current (stable/ not bleeding edge unless you know what you’re doing) Ubuntu or Debian based system is probably ideal.

I’m not familiar with your preferred one, but it looks to be Debian based so it just depends on how well supported whatever tweaks the distro provider has made are. :slight_smile:

BW itself - regardless which edition is chosen - runs within Docker containers on your Linux host. This simplifies upgrades and dependency management.

You have three paths for installing BW itself:

1. BW Standard - Install and Deploy - Linux | Bitwarden Help Center
  • Most mature and well supported but also WAY overkill for any home user or small business
  • Most complicated setup
  1. BW Unified - Install and Deploy - Unified (Beta) | Bitwarden Help Center
  • Less mature but actively under development and well supported
  • Least complicated setup (as long as you don’t run into a bug)
  1. Unofficial third party offering: There is a third-party server-side clone called vaultwarden. You can search for it. Some find it suitable for smaller setups and it predates the official BW Unified edition.

WoW, :open_mouth:
Many THX jtr
to take care!

I’m very happy that at least You answered in an Informative way on This.
I’m more a User!
Not common with all this Server & Net Stuff.

But I think it’s interesting and useful in respect of data security to go for hosting your stuff in own server.
So I left Proxmox as it seems to me (as User) as a more Hobby Tinkering solution.
OK, if the aim is to permanently go" under the HOOD" to finally find a solution – what in my opinion is necessary for a good USER experience.
But as said, it’s the aim to get something finally working as a Hobby - OK!

So I thought when learning all this stuff, Why not go with industrial standards.

So I must say, I’m now able to set up VMs in my tiny ESXi 7 Host.

BUT what I think is really missing in VM is the way to handle smal containers & Docker
Maybe I’m totally wrong?

Saying this I kept away from Docker, but now it seems that is the only proper way to go with Bitwarden.
Which I consider the “standard” Open source with Apps for “all devices” & free
THX to Bitwarden for this!

Taking in consideration that VM is virtualization and now to have to put on this another virtualization to deal with Docker containers, the basis of the VM should be minimal.

I read that Alpine Linux is really tiny and supposedly also works well with Docker.

I have really managed by surprise to tinker a VM with Alpine & Bitwarden.

But I’m sure I did something wrong with Bitwarden installation.
As I have learned not to expose each VM directly to the web, I have a Nginx Proxy Manager running in another VM that up to now does the job well.

Meaning I point a Domain to my Fritz!Box (router) using C Record → Revers Manager → to IP of the VM where the App is on.

Following this concept, which worked with all my Apps in VMs, I did the same with my Bitwarden VM.
BUT
I cannot get the domain assigned to the VM.
I can log into Bittwasden using the IP of the VM!

So maybe my setup with user defined certificate or the domain name "Bitwarden.local "is wrong.
Or something has to be put in this section of Nginx Proxy Manager?

grafik

Any Idea?

If someone is interested to do the same to get a Proper Password manager hosted at Home
in a VM in the Home Lab.
I will upload here what I have done to install this as fare I can remember. :wink:

I think the best way to get this working is to start Installation of Bitwarden on the Alpine with Docker again.

This time hopefully – And that’s the point, I ask for help

With the correct advice to input concerning Certificate
( in all other installations, I could create the certificate for the App via Nginx Proxy Manager)

And what to put into Domain name.

May THX for taking care!

Hoping that someone finds this as a good idea to set this up
Before your Internet Stuff gets attacked caused by same and weak passwords
(as I had to face)
:unamused:
Which forced me now to really long planned action on my careless handling of my passwords

PS:
So let’s put our heads together and create an easy-to-follow installation guide to give even newbies a chance to protect themselves from attacks
About which one knows, but one assumes that they will not affect oneself
as in my case!! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

What do you think?