Automatic Vault Health Report in all Apps (like 1Password Watchtower)

Bitwarden Outpost

I was actually expecting to get this with premium: Items should be checked automatically and have a little indicator for weak, duplicated, compromised passwords. Data breaches should be announced via OS notification and a big red banner in every BW app.

I think the current browser-only manual reports are „nice to have“, but nothing more. The consistency of automated checks is far more beneficial than sporadic manual reports on the website. Especially for the ones that we are forcing to use BW (let’s call them family).

Here you can see what I was describing (1Password‘s Watchtower): https://watchtower.1password.com/
Edit (shows exactly what I mean): Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change | 1Password

I second this especially for less tech savvy family members who I suspect would never check manually but if they get an alert they’d have a look.

Trey Greer once said that such a feature would require the vault to be unlock or decrypted every time, which is not very safe. There probably might be a better way.

Once a day it could do while you have it open or provide a prompt to initiate it. I believe 1Password checks once a day but I don’t know how they have implemented it.

I don’t know how 1P does it, but like MONKiPASS says, checks could be done when the vault is unlocked. For data breaches maybe the service could have it‘s own (secure) database of just the sites in your vault, so it can work independently and warn you if need be.

1 Like

This would be great! If you are logged in and the vault is unlocked, in theory, it should be able to detect. As others say, once a day would be fine and it could be run as the vault unlocks.

Integrate a recurrent automatically checks for all the passwords in the vault to make sure that none of them has been in a data breach via Have I been pwned .