Automated new logins are arbitrarily added to Vault rather than updating the original login?

Thank you for your post!

Feature name

STOP AUTOMATED ADDS TO VAULT

Feature function

THIS IS NOT A FEATURE, IT IS A NECESSARY CORRECTION
-PROTONMAIL IS ARBITRARILY ADDING ADDITIONAL LOGINS WITH EVERY CHANGE, RATHER THAN UPDATE THE ORIGINAL LOGIN, AND IT IS UNNECESSARILY ADDING HUNDREDS OF RECORDS TO THE VAULT! THIS IS A VERY SIMPLE FEATURE AVAILABLE WITH EVERY PASSWORD MANAGER ON THE PLANET.
WHEN A CHANGE IS MADE TO AN EXISTING LOGIN, THERE SHOULD IMMEDIATELY BE A NOTICE ASKING IF THE ORIGINAL LOGIN SHOULD BE UPDATED, AND NOT CREATE YET ANOTHER ADDITIONAL LOGIN. THIS IS A SERIOUS FLAW!

• Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?
  • Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful?

Why are you shouting?

Protonmail??? This forum is about Bitwarden.

2 Likes

I think he means that password changes on ProtonMail’s site are being added as new entries rather than updates to an existing vault item, though I’m perplexed as to why anyone would be making “hundreds” of password changes?!

I have noticed the odd site that does this, but I just make the changes manually usually. It’s quite rare that I have to change passwords, so it’s not too onerous.

1 Like

Well, in my opnion rrgaap777 has a point (although, there is no need to shout, indeed). Some passwords need changing on a regular basis (for example bank accounts). And it’s very convenient when a password manager offers an option to update a login rather than being able to save (existing) logins as new logins only. That’s why I use 1Password. Currently I am trying Bitwarden, however, the absence of handy options like these won’t make it likely to change to Bitwarden permanently.

You can do this in Bitwarden. No idea where you are getting this (mis)information from, but it’s wrong.

Well, I have tested this with several accounts. When on a website login page, I fill a login from the Bitwarden browser extension (which is a login previously saved with Bitwarden), and then change the login name or the password, Bitwarden sees this, but is only offering to save the login as a new login, there is no offering to update the existing one. So, this ain’t misinformation, it is just what Bitwarden does.
When I do this with 1Password, it offers “Save to 1Password”, and when you hit the button, it offers “Update item”. And that is how it should be.

Works fine for me and many others. I would check your process.