Auto-type/Autofill for logging into other desktop apps

Thanks for the feedback, there are some users using the desktop app who prefer not to use the auto-fill function, the desktop app also provides TouchID authentication for the browser extension, an offline cache, and the ability to export your vault data.

Feature name

• Enter the name/concept of the feature being requested: Local Password Fill

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently? Fill passwords in local apps, like Quicken vault. Roboform does this.
  • What benefits will this feature bring? Less typing of passwords.

I am in process of switching from Roboform to Bitwarden.

This is THE one feature I miss from Roboform!

To move to Bitwarden at work we’d need the ability to launch applications with usernames/passwords as command line parameters

e.g launching Putty
C:\Program Files\PuTTY\putty.exe -ssh {USERNAME}@hostname -pw {PASSWORD}

I just bought 1 year of premium, created my own self-hosted server, migrated all my data from KeePass, and found out that this feature is not supported.
Saying that I’m extremely disappointed, would be an understatement, the lack of this feature makes the desktop app completely useless.
I never even considered something basic like this would not be included…
Guess I wasted my money, because I definitely won’t use a service without this feature.

The fact that this discussion was opened 4 years ago, speaks volumes about the whole bitwarden service.
I was very reluctant to pay a yearly fee for something that I will host myself, just to enable generating TOTP codes (which is run locally, and not resource intensive at all), but I did, and would continue to do so, if it was at least a feature-complete solution, but it’s clearly not.

We must have this feature on desktop apps.

Auto-type feature exactly like in KeePass 2 is only thing missing IMO

1 Like

I keep running into desktop apps that log you out even if you wish to stay logged in. This would be incredibly helpful to me.

The business I work for (an MSP) is about to move to Bitwarden from Lastpass (I’m sure you can guess why we’re leaving), and we’re intending to resell Bitwarden. Desktop app auto-typing would be a huge thing personally (I use KeePass), internally (we have a bunch of apps that we’re cranking up the security on), and for our customers (only one of which has a password manager currently).

It’s not a show-stopper, as we’re definitely moving. We use RDM, which we’re looking forward to re-implementing much more securely. We’re also intending to use the ability to add multiple URIs to a single entry to get away from our unmanageable duplication of credentials in LP. But being able to use our password manager to log into RDM and our ticketing app, or enter credentials for bitlocker virtual drives, or any number of other non-browser situations would be a massive step up in our security – particularly if we can subsequently turn on TOTP-based MFA without a massive productivity penalty.

I find it hard to believe that this has over 250 comments since early 2018 and not only is it still not implemented, but it doesn’t even seem to be in the roadmap for the first half of this year.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Krisjohn :+1:

1 Like

Would this feature be easier to be implemented on macOS than on Windows? Because macOS supports native 3rd party autofill, it would automatically detect login forms and show a popup overlay just like it works on iOS, even without a Bitwarden extension installed. Not to mention, this would work outside the browser as well.

3 Likes

Relevant feature request, which supports your point

1 Like

Just so you know, the lack of desktop auto-type/autofill is the only reason keeping me from switching from KeePassXC to Bitwarden.

If this is going to be implemented, please have a way to let us MANUALLY select which password to auto-type. I prefer selecting the password manually to automatically picking up the password entry based on website URL/window title (though it’s good to have both options as we all have different preferences).

1 Like

I much prefer bitwarden, for syncing across devices and autofil to websites etc, but i do have to keep using an instance of keepass running specifically for auto type into other apps, there are only a few apps & a few credentials that i need this for so i just keep a simple keepass running for this…

ideally though i would prefer to be able to do it from bitwarden, without it, the desktop app is absolutely useless, the extension and web vault are perfect.

please add this feature! (with the same kind of rules keepass has for selecting windows/user/tab/password format etc)

2 Likes

Auto-type (for desktop apps) is the one feature missing from BitWarden that stops us from adopting it into our org.

We are dependent on KeePass XC:s autotype feature for logins where use of the clipboard is not supported, like RDP.

1 Like

we are testing different password managers for our university. in fact, autofill for apps is missing in bitwarden for productive use. currently we are using keepass and password depot.

2 Likes

It’s such a shame Bitwarden doesn’t utilize the native MacOS autofill functionality for native apps. Copy pasting works ok but this level of integration would be amazing, just like on the iPhone. I would even consider switching to a paid plan if this functionality came along with it.

1 Like

A much needed feature

1 Like

Some apps block copy/paste so auto-type is the first thought that pops up. Since there is a nice cli I could do the same using AppleScript. Having this integrated in the app is much cleaner and improved the usability a lot. Not all users will be able to install scripts so many will stick with keepass. I used the same trick for lastpass.

1 Like

If you create code to perform this, please post it.