Auto-save generated passwords

Hi @bituser - welcome!

Sometimes autosaving can be a bit hit and miss with some non-standard user registration forms, but for me the autosave works the majority of the time. Bitwarden is very new software, compared to the big competitors out there, so they are still playing catch-up, I think, to make sure autosave works on every site out there.

What a lot of long-time Bitwarden users do is avoid autosaving altogether. What works best for me when I visit a new website is:

1. Press the + button to add a new entry in Bitwarden BEFORE you fill in the registration for a login and new password.

2. Enter the login you would like to use (e.g., your email address).

3. Generate a random password with the generator function for the login item.

4. Set the folder you want to use, and add any notes you need, etc. and then save the entry in Bitwarden.

5. Now just click the newly saved entry to autofill your new username and password in the registration form and you are done.

I know this is a very different process to what one might do in Lastpass, but it is very efficient and quick if you are open to a new method. These steps also work well for updating passwords. Hope it works for you.

3 Likes