Allow copying of default Identity fields

Would really like to have this feature too. There is a default Passport field, but you cannot copy-paste it. On all the travel websites that’s a really frequently asked field.

As a workaround, I have created my own custom field “Passport” which allows copying from

1 Like

Voted up this feature request.

How do we get more attention on this? Request was opened 2 years ago.

Would be really useful to enable this, users have to resort to workarounds meanwhile…

1 Like

It’s captured on our backlog. We are working on most of the top voted items, but we do pay attention to items with lots of engagement, too!

3 Likes

Having just made the move over from 1 password this is one function that is seriously lacking. There is no point filling in every field of an identity if you can’t then copy it again when needed. In 1password, any field of any entry has an option to copy if needed. Here’s hoping this feature will be enabled soon

This would be nice to have!

1 Like

What’s the status? Shouldn’t be hard to implement I guess…

No updates on this one just yet. This will most likely affect both our browser and desktop repos if you’d like to sign up for PR/Commit notifications as we add items :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I need to send my data in chat what should I do? Why I am not able to copy? Why the devs restricted me to autofill?

Lots of answers can be found in this thread:

And as a workaround, you can press Edit on the item and then you are able to copy. Currently, that’s the best you can do, unfortunately.

Can’t you long press(on mobile app) or double-click (on pc) on the field and select it? Then there should be an option to copy the selected field.

In the mobile app you can only do this while editing, not viewing.

This is my top most annoying thing in the BW app.
The whole purpose is to store data that you may need to copy.

Please add the feature so I can easily copy to clip board things such as my passport number, driving licence, national insurance number (British) in the same way I can easily copy passwords to the clip board for logins.

It would be amazing if Bitwarden for Android had an option to copy values from identity fields. I have a bunch of addresses saved in identities and I cannot copy the text when viewing an entry (the text is not selectable).

I resorted to creating a duplicate secure note with the info I need, but this is far from being ideal.

Ideally each field would have a ‘copy’ button right next to it and an option to copy the address as a whole. This would make the identity records far more useful.

Thanks

4 years anniversary of this feature request is coming up :tada:

Thanks for the feedback @mloureiro I’ll bring it up with the team :+1:

1 Like

The (surprising) absence of this feature just came to my attention, as I was filling in a contact form for which autofill did not work (because whoever designed the form used nonstandard field IDs, like fox-c1160-textfield5). “No problem,” I thought – “I’ll just open the identity item and copy the information using the copy button” – I was surprised to see no functionality whatsoever available on the View Item screen for the default fields of an identity item.

I suppose a workaround would be to duplicate each default field using a “linked” custom field, but this would be a cumbersome approach, and it would still require me to scroll down past the default “ITEM INFORMATION” section to get to the custom fields.

I have added my vote to this request.

I will also chime in that this is a necessary feature. Autofill just doesn’t work that well for identities and passport information on iphone from bitwarden. This is a mild pain, but becomes a major pain when you realize you can even copy the data into a form without first hitting edit, then long pressing, selecting all, copying, then pasting. Very not intuitive.

Only specific fields like username and password or custom fields are selectable/copyable in my Android app (Google Pixel 6 and Android 13). It would be nice to also be able to copy, for example, a passport number or similar, which is currently impossible without editing an item and then copying from the text box.

Please note that this is not limited to the Android app. The Firefox extension (both in dropdown and sidebar mode) have the same exact problem of not having the copy icon.

Also not limited to Identities: default fields in Cards do not have the copy icon as well.