Adding Biometric/PIN authentication with Master password re-prompt

Feature description

To add Biometric authentication as an option to use when asked for Master password re-prompt.
Right now when we’re asked for Master password re-prompt there is only an option to input Master Password. It would be easy if there was an option to use Biometric instead of Master password.

3 Likes

I 2nd that! Would be very useful especially if master passwd re-prompt is used often.

6 Likes

Voted! :+1: My master pw is rather long :roll_eyes: as it should be, so yes the retyping is getting to my arthritic fingers… at least my fingerprint hasn’t gotten too wrinkly yet!

4 Likes

Yes exactly, my master pw is also long and I find it very hard to type that every time. I moved to Bitwarden from Lastpass about 5 months ago and that’s the only feature I’m really missing.

5 Likes

Rather than “Master password reprompt”, perhaps it should be called “Reauthenticate”?

Lastpass absolutely nailed this functionality. It can reauthenticate biometrically and also keeps a separate timeout on the reauthentication.

4 Likes

I signed up to make this suggestion, but its already on the board.
Thanks

4 Likes

Revisiting this topic as a new user. I recently moved over from LastPass and, so far, THIS is the one thing that I’m really missing.

It was super easy to reauthenticate using biometrics via LastPass and, as the other user mentioned, still secure because it had a time-out feature as well.

Please, please add this feature to Bitwarden (both mobile and browser-based).

Thank you.

4 Likes

I also made an account just to comment on this thread - Totally second the need for biometric re-authentication!

I have master password re-prompt enabled for all my sensitive passwords, and while re-typing them in a computer isn’t so bad, typing a 15+ long password each time I’m trying to fill-in a sensitive password in my phone can get pretty annoying.

As someone who came over from lastpass, this is the single most feature that I find lacking - using fingerprint to re-authenticate when using bitwarden from a device.

4 Likes

OK so It looks like (upon removing and re-installing my browser BW extension (Opera, using the Chrome version)) that biometric reauthentication may now be an option?

I believe that “unlock with biometrics” can only unlock the extension. The master password re-prompt is a 2nd layer and at the moment, I’m seeing it still only can be unlocked using the master password (as of BW Extension 1.54.0 on Microsoft Edge 96.0.1054.43).

Unlock the extension (1st layer):

1. Master password
  2. Biometrics
  3. PIN

Unlock re-prompt items (2nd layer, optional):

1. Master password

We’d like to add biometrics to the 2nd layer:

2021-12-06_19-56-05

//

I agree with @Caign: the feature’s name probably needs to be changed. Not “master password re-prompt”: I also like “authentication re-prompt”.

Now, “authentication” also implies PIN unlock, so perhaps that is something Bitwarden also wants to explore.

1 Like

I also made an account just to comment and vote on this thread. I think this would be a real quality of life improvement and a useful feature as my master password is quite long. One should be able to re-prompt with biometrics or a pin.

3 Likes

Feature name

PIN Lock for Indivual Logins and Notes

• What will this feature do differently? It aids additional security in the event that a bad actor or so-called ‘friend’ uses or gains access to your unlocked vault. The option to PIN protect credit card info, secure notes and other very personal items would be a welcome additional layer of security.
  • What benefits will this feature bring? It is a lot easier/quicker than having to use master password re-prompts with the additional benefit of not having to expose your master password as often (less chance of onlookers and keyloggers stealing your master password.)
  • Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected. This likely is more useful for desktop and web/browser apps, but certainly could be useful for mobile too.