Add additional formatting options to secure notes (rich / markdown)

There are lots of libraries that can easily parse markdown and display it, would be nice

2 Likes

This feature has already been requested:

4 Likes

Please provide a way to indent a line in Secure Notes. There doesn’t appear to be a way to enter a tab character. I have to copy the note text to an editor, add tabs, copy it from the editor, and paste it back into notes to get indentation.

Formatting, like I’m using right now to enter this feature request, in notes would be even better.

There are already two Feature Requests suggesting support for Markdown formatting (and/or BBCode formatting) in Secure Notes:

However, neither of those formatting methods supports paragraph indents, to my knowledge.

Markdown may support this, but typical also depends on what markdown support is built in the application.
    i.e. “Here is an example”

It would be very useful to have a simple formatting in the field “Notes” like BBCode.
KeePass offers this (here I write “Note:” and I see the text in bold font.
A feature that I am using very often.

1 Like

I’d prefer markdown as it’s much more spread now than BBCode but otherwise why not !

9 Likes

Markdown is also OK, users should have an option to have formatting options.

2 Likes

Also the ability to change the font would be very helpful. When working with extremely typo-sensitive things, especially in notes, being able to use a fixed-width font that makes things like capital O and zero easier to discern is important.

2 Likes

At least allow a setting for fixed-width font that would be available on all platforms.

2 Likes

I second the idea for the ability to use Markdown in notes.

1 Like

Yes, anything to format my notes would be awesome.

1 Like

NO FORMATTING PLEASE
====================

I hereby go against the tide and argue against software-assisted formatted editing of notes.

Because: TANSTAAFL.

You can already use Markdown in notes. Markdown, you will recall, was invented so people could include formatting within plain text. Here is a list:

* This is the first item.
* This is the second item.
* Here is the last one.

When you read Markdown text, you can visually interpret all the formatting, including *emphasis* and **more emphasis**, without needing the software to do it for you.

Adding software-assisted formatted editing will make Bitwarden bigger and will add a huge potential for bugs. It would in the long run compromise *security* and *reliability*, which are far more important for a password manager.

5 Likes

Nope.
Using markdown better for memories.
Markdown support aligning without care structure of text about.
If text looks like garbage? Markdown improve it better and faster.

These are excellent points; If you store text in Bitwarden—and even perhaps in Markdown syntax—then you have the content and some formatting persisted securely. I would need to hear more use cases to be convinced the current notes field needs to be enhanced for readability, or for anything else.

For others reading this, see fortran77’s comment below for a couple reasons why not to make these changes.

These are excellent points; If you store text in Bitwarden—and even perhaps in Markdown syntax—then you have the content and some formatting persisted securely . I would need to hear more use cases to be convinced the current notes field needs to be enhanced for readability, or for anything else.

Here’s a user case I stumble upon why I still need to keep a small specific list of passwords in an application like Evernote (since it has great markup functionality) :

Feature name

• Add Rich Text Formatting (RTF) to NOTES

Feature function

• RTF will allow long/complex notes to be more readable in apps:all.

As I am new to this forum, I wanted to first ask if markdown support for Secure Notes had already been discussed by anyone? I have a pack of ideas around that, but don’t want to spam the forum if that idea had been discussed and rejected before.

BR

I second this, I think that markdown support in secure notes is the next step forward to making it more useful as a secure note-taking platform. Not all data fits perfectly into the login card or id key/value paradigm.

2 Likes