Add an option to disable update

sorry, my previous post was an allergic shock reaction. i am, very unfortunately, very allergic to massive BS :wink:

Just leaving this here:

Can you give more info on what address you blocked? Its crazy that this is the behavior for such a sensitive piece of software.

+1: Itā€™s definitely a ā€˜mustā€™ in a corporate environment, where users do not have admin permissions, to have the option to disable the auto-updates.

ā€œNot a good choice?ā€ Iā€™m on a business trip in another state only to find out the auto-update has installed a new version that isnā€™t compatible with the High Sierra OS Iā€™m locked into for work purposes. Iā€™m nowhere near my backups so I can restore the app and so Iā€™ve just spent two hours in a hotel trying to find the earlier version and battling Apple and Bitwarden support reps who absolutely cannot understand why I need the previous version.

I think itā€™s better to stop treating users like seven year olds and let them manage their own computers. Having auto-update turned on by default is fine, but a user should be able to turn it off for reasons that, frankly, developers canā€™t foresee nor wrap their heads around but are perfectly logical. Now I have to hold onto this universal installer so I can re-install Bitwarden every damn time it auto-updates. Ugh.

@VisibleEvidence - sorry to hear about your issue. I can only imangine how frustrating that must have been.

You will probably be interested to see this post from above, which may prevent this from happening again to you:

@dh024 I have no idea what that means. I am the proverbial End User. Thanks, though.

I am just an end-user, too, who was offering to help. Do you want me to provide more explicit instructions on how you can try this potential fix? I wonā€™t bother if you arenā€™t interested.

@dh024 No, thatā€™d be great. If itā€™s a solution for Mac, Iā€™d appreciate it.

OK, no problem. Try this (no guarantees it will work, but its worth a shot as others have had success):

Open a Terminal window in your Mac (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and update your OS environment variables by entering this line of code and pressing the RETURN key:

echo ā€œexport ELECTRON_NO_UPDATER=1ā€ >> ~/.bash_profile

You should only have to do this once. Just make sure to reboot your machine afterwards.

@dh204 Ah, I see what itā€™s doing; it looks like itā€™s disabling updating for everything. Is that right?

Well, any apps that rely on the Electron framework installed on your Mac, yes. But not other locally installed apps.

You should be able to ā€œundoā€ this behaviour by opening your .bash_profile file in any text editor and deleting that line which was added by the terminal command I posted above, if you like. But I donā€™t think there is a way to pick and choose which Electron-based apps get updates or not.

@dh024 Hmmā€¦ well, if it works, it works. Iā€™ll have to do some research on my key apps before trying that. I have two work-centric apps that lock me into High Sierra for now so Iā€™d have to make sure that doesnā€™t mess them up. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

macOS Sierra 10.13 as well. Applied the solution as described above but it only works for a while. Recently I had to do cold start (holding power button) and on restart the update torture started again.

They should have released a neutered version of the app without the auto-updater for the cheap-old-vintage-hardware folks.

This is real annoyance from Bitwarden they just effetively force me to buy a new machine or stop using their service. I donā€™t even think Lastpass was that bad with respect to continuity for its user base ā€¦

I was happy user switched from LP to BW about 2 years ago and this here has been a slap in face. Not because they donā€™t provide updates for my vintage machine, but because they donā€™t care apparently people losing access to password getting surprise when password is needed most.

Itā€™s been several month. They could have released the neutered version. Itā€™s not a big ask.

Is there any update to this request?

I am deploying the app via Intune and due to the frequency of the updates it would be great if the update notifications could be disabled to users stop getting interrupted!

these devs are just hilariously ignorant. dropped bitwarden a while ago and probably in our corp with 2000+ users we arenā€™t gonna even consider it, because of that.