Add additional formatting options to secure notes (rich / markdown)

if no markdown, it should at least be monospaced…

If this feature will be implemented, please keep in mind that hyperlinks might be automatically accessed by Windows and NTLM authentication be performed, even if the user did not click on the link. This can potentially allow attackers to steal a user’s password. The problem was also discovered as security flaw in Zoom earlier this year: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/zoom-lets-attackers-steal-windows-credentials-run-programs-via-unc-links/

Couldn’t the markdown implementation exclude links then?

2 Likes

Or exclude “UNC path”. Http(s) links is enough. Event without links is enougth.

I am a new user to Bitwarden, coming from 1Password.

In a few days of using BW, it is simply a joy to use. Excellent webversion and Chrome extension :ok_hand:. High quality… and that even for free.

Here’s my support for Markdown support in Bitwarden.

An example:

I have a single secured note in Evernote where I list an overview of passwords and all kinds of settings concerning my hosted website. It’s a list that I can share easily with technical support departments if my site needs fixing or something.

It’s quite a comprehensive list, so I use Evernote’s markup styling on all these entries in that list. It makes it much easier to read and use that way (stating the obvious).

Now, since becoming a new BW user, I wanted to place this overview in a secure note in BW. But… it really becomes quite hard to read. BW does not support any kind of markup/markdown styling at all in their secure notes - or the notes inside a login-entry or any other category for that matter. It is just only plaintext.

I don’t know if this is done, for security reasons or that the vault can be exported more easily to other platforms (just a thought… I am not a technical person), but whatever the reasons for not having it, it would come in very handy if we do have it at hand, as well in secure notes as the notes present in a login-entry and any other category.

If there would be Markdown support in those cases, I can also leave Evernote (as I did with 1Password) for managing any form of secure information.

(Note: 1Password for example does support Markup styling inside their notes. Well… strangely enough you can enter Markup in notes in their webversion, but then the webversion subsequently does not display the Markup, but when you then go to their iOS apps… the Markup is visible there. Talk about consistency… :upside_down_face:)

Thanks for considering this,
Grover.

Summary

This text will be hidden

Markdown support in the note field would be very nice. Otherwise can rapidly become hard to read.

1 Like

Hey,

I find it easier to use the tabulation for the formatting of some notes.

The ultimate solution is to be able to use the markdown :smiley:

Thank you :slight_smile:

Well… I’m the only one who wants this apparently :smiley:

It would be great to have rich text features in notes, such as bold, italic, links, lists, to do lists (like in “Samsung Notes” app), etc. I would prefer it to have interface like MS Word, for example (instead of converting special symbols to markdown).

This is definitely a good feature to have. I’d vote for it if I wasn’t past the limit.

Just only “Bold” as well as “Italic” will be great and helpful function.

And indent/list too.

1 Like

Unavailable for me.

The interface could easily be achieved using WASM or a decent JS UI library, but I doubt that they’ll bother. The textual features that you refer to are some of what Markdown support encompasses.

I would like to request for rich text support in the Notes section. Currently, I can only input a small amount of text, and I would like to be able to add formatting such as bold, italic, underline, hyperlink, strike, and larger text support.
If the feature already available, Could you please guide me on how to enable this feature?

A simple Markdown implementation will not raise any security but better UX and the note more useful, more elegant. Just that. Or if Markdown not support, please mono font for the note input field. Thanks!

1 Like

Markdown support would be a big improvment, it kinda sucks today.