✅ Account Switching

This can be solved, by not allowing the personal account access to business account.
So only business accounts can access personal accounts. One way access.

Or if there is two way access. Policies from the business account, password strength, required two factor etc. Should just affect the personal account. Policies is feature I would like too.

1 Like

You’re still mingling data, which is usually frowned upon. I know in some casual work environments no one cares. I work in an enterprise environment and I do not want any mixing of personal and business data.

Trust me, bad things can and do happen.

Honestly, why is it so terrible to use two accounts? This makes a very clear distinction between the system you’re logging into and its purpose.

Well if it’s a policy thing, then it can just be disabled by default, and you won’t have to worry about it.

I really think it depends on the business model. But allowing by allowing this, why should the customer then use another password manager? There can be business value in allowing this. For the IT professional, it also about sharing the importance of using a password manager. By helping client stay safe also at home.

same for me, separated personal and professional its really important. if you want to implement massively bitwarden in companies, most of the CISO will claim the possibility to separate personal and professional

Instead of mixing/linking both accounts, wouldn’t it be much easier to have two seperate logins on the clients (browser, mobile, etc) and have the client offer you something like a unified search / autofill? IMHO this feature is quite important as you have to currently either do everything on one Bitwarden instance (bad, esp. if your company has it on premise) or use two seperate password managers (inconvinient²).

Related :

Yupp, agree to this feature. This is the major drawback for not signing up my company. It is already a minor pain to use bitwarden on a personal level, but this minor pain is worth the added security, but then signing up a business and needing to constantly switch back and forth between accounts…would love to be able to avoid that.

I also happen to need this.

My current password management setting involves 3 KeePass databases. (a personnal one, and two other for companies I work with).

In KeeWeb (my KeePass client), I can quickly switch from one database to another:

I’m currently deploying two separate Bitwarden servers (a personal one, and one for my company), and I’d like to have a similar behaviour. Unfortunately, it’s not possible, I have to logout, change the server URL in the client settings and relogin, which is really tedious.

I really don’t care about unified search or linking accounts together, I’d rather have a simple way to quickly switch from an account to another. Something like a configurable list of identifies, to add a bitwarden URL and user email, and a dropdown on the login form to pick the one you want to use before filling in your master password. Since it’s purely a client side change, I believe it could also be simpler to implement (but I may be wrong).

5 Likes

As use of BitWarden grows, this seems like an increasingly important feature.
I have helped two clients adopt BW, which means that I now have 3 BW accounts that I have to switch between when going from site to site during a regular day.

I think that this could also boost adoption of BW if users are introduced to BW via an organization/company and then realize that they can easily set up a personal account and still access those personal PW within the same interface.

It seems to me that a “Tabbed” approach, as suggested earlier would be the best. Completely different log-in accounts, but accessible via a quick menu switch, without the log-out, log-in routine currently required.

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me why (part of) this functionality can’t be created using organizations and collections?

I would say fast switching between a personal and a business account would be nice to have to prevent mixing things, supported by a setting to opt-out for business accounts (so they can prevent switching)

And the use of multiple vaults / accounts (like for contractors or service providers) could imho be fully supported with organisations and collections. You just provide your contractor access through his other email (and any mandatory second factor).

Really hoping that this gets considered. We’re looking at ditching Lastpass in favour of enterprise Bitwarden but handling personal accounts in a sane way is essential for us

I agree linking of accounts is bad, but the client (desktop / web / mobile) maintaining two authentications is a totally different thing. Being able to switch between accounts easily from clients is trivial.

Today I use all personal stuff on my personal account, and all work related stuff on my company organization account. I don’t want to mix those, but to be able to easily switch in the clients would be awesome.

At work I use a seperate “Personal” Chrome user profile for the browser client (extension) and only work account on desktop client. Then for personal I use the web vault.
At home I use a seperate “Work” Chrome user profile for the browser client (extension) and only personal account on desktop client. Then for work I use the web vault.

This works, but a more easier “switch between accounts” would be really appreciated. I don’t want to link my accounts, just be able to manage “profiles” / “accounts” from the client, and make it easier to switch between those.

1 Like

Any input from the developer?
I think it’s quite common to have a need to separate personal and business vault.

Maybe even to put a price on the feature? We’d probably be able to sponsor it

How do we do that? Is pooling money going to solve this?

This is another case where KeePass databases shine. You can have as may open as you like.

I don’t really understand why every account is limited to single password store and that store is protected by the same master password as the account password. (I guess it has something to do with convenience.)

Separating those and allowing use of multiple stores in any form would be nice.

Personally I hated that my personal account got tied to my work account with lastpass. My account is my account, not my employer’s; I refused to link accounts.

I like the way bitwarden is currently handling this problem with collections. Similar to how you work with github organizations, you work with bitwarden collections. You can get invited into a collection, then that’s part of your vault.

Now in the github model, the company can force you to meet certain requirements on your personal account to link it into the company’s organization, for instance require 2FA, require strong passwords, etc. I think that’s a reasonable standard and way to implement this.

That methodology respects both the user’s privacy, and the company’s security.

2 Likes

i’m agree, a simple way to switch would be nice. Password asked in respect of configuration set (1 minute/2 minutes/…/Restart of browser/never) by the way the “never” option should not be exist :slight_smile:

Organizations is a really nice way to do this but only if you use the same bitwarden server for both work and personal stuff.

I think we need multiple accounts support if we want to be able to use one bitwarden server for work and our own personal bitwarden server.

It would be nice if in the Client there would be a server tree

Server 1
all items as in client right now
Server 2

Server 3

This would be an awesome feature!