✅ Autofill shortcut should open login window when vault is locked

As Title says. I usually navigate to a site and try to auto-fill, realize I haven’t unlocked the vault, then have to click on the browser icon to enter master password.

I think this would be a small quality of life improvement.

Unfortunately the browser APIs don’t allow for this.

Would it be possible to open a tab with the login prompt instead?

@kspearrin that is unfortunate, maybe it’s possible to display some kind of notification popup instead, or animate the login form similarly to when it’s filled? (i.e. wiggle sideways to indicate a “no”)

1 Like

I hate it when I expect something to happen but something else happens instead. It might be more convenient for some, but it jars my brain.

@kspearrin I noticed the 1Password X extension has exactly this behaviour (open popup when pressing shortcut), so it’s definitely technically possible. Unfortunately the source doesn’t seem to be available.

4 Likes

I came from 1Password, which had this functionality for as long as I can remember. The keyboard shortcut should open the password prompt and then autofill once the correct password is put in.

3 Likes

Just created an account to give this :+1:

I often browse using my keyboard only and it’s really annoying to switch to the mouse to unlock the vault. If some users find the shortcut opening the login disturbing, it could be configurable.

3 Likes

I have my vault set to lock immediately, so this would make the autofill shortcut a lot more useful.

4 Likes

So, I just commented on this in another thread: Add essential keyboard shortcuts & navigation

But in terms of what @kspearrin said about browser APIs, isn’t this exactly what the Ctrl+Shift+Y shortcut does? So this would be the same thing, having the extension pop up when you press Ctrl+Shift+L, but then just autofill after you press enter confirming your password/PIN.

Here is how I thought it should work:

Currently, I unlock with a PIN, and have it auto lock after 5 minutes. While the vault is unlocked, Ctrl+Shit+L works wonders to just autofill. But when it is locked, I have to click on the extension, type my pin, click the login to autofill, escape out of the extension and then click enter. Here’s my idea for how Ctrl+Shit+L should work when locked:

1. Open a login page
  2. Press Ctrl+Shift+L
  3. Extension window pops up asking for password/PIN
  4. You type password/PIN, press enter and the extension closes and autofills automatically.

THis would make it being secure (locked) a lot more convenient.

4 Likes

Here is the issue on Github for reference: https://github.com/bitwarden/browser/issues/978

1 Like

There is also pull request about this: https://github.com/bitwarden/browser/pull/987

1 Like

Created an account just to ask this feature. +1

4 Likes

Seems like there is already a pull request for this feature for a while now: https://github.com/bitwarden/browser/pull/987

2 Likes

Little up for this feature! That’s the missing piece :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be a useful little feature, lastpass has had it for so long I can’t even remember when they got it.

1 Like

This would be a great addition. At the moment in Safari, pressing Cmd-\ fails silently when the vault is locked. If it could be chained with Touch-ID (once support lands for Safari), login and autofill would be completely seamless.

1 Like

+1, me too - Post must be at least 15 characters

1 Like

There is an open PR for this that has been waiting for feedback from core members for a year and a half now WIP: Open the popup when keybinding fails due to locked vault by stefanmaric · Pull Request #987 · bitwarden/browser · GitHub

2 Likes

I will not be renewing my subscription unless this is addressed.

2 Likes